captainvideo

Panic bar with electric release

Any suggestions on manufacturers of power release panic bars .

I have been asked to replace a 50 year old panic bar on the front door of my church .they want to add an intercom and a button to unlock the door so when someone rings the bell , they can look at the already installed camera at the front door on monitors at 2 separate locations in the church and talk to the person and unlock the door .

since the existing panic bar is very old and overdue for an upgrade , I want to replace it with a powered release panic bar and hook it up to an intercom system with a door release button .

I'm aware of the many strike release options ,but this is a double wood door without a door jam between the 2 doors .1 of the 2 doors is stationary except for when 1 person in a wheelchair comes to church on Sunday.

I'm pretty sure a power release panic bar is my best option but I'm open for any suggestions . Thanks

Most of the power latch retraction system we installed were setup to open when a card was presented from the outside. just pushing on the panic bar from the inside would release the door. This was a school environment where one could always get out from any door even if secured from the outside. Does this door have a bar the runs from the top to the bottem vertically to secure the door.? I would be sure to check the building codes where you are as if you go to a powered system you may have to upgrade everything to meet current ADA standards. Wiring in a remote release and door monitor system should be fairly straight forward.

Thanks jeromephone ,

Currently ,no one can access the building through these doors unless someone comes and pushes the panic bar .which is how they want it .employees have a separate security entrance.The video surveillance supply house I use on long island set me up with the access control system for the employee entrance 2 years ago .so I took pictures of the front door and talked to them about this job .they recommended the powered panic bar over the electric strike plate due to no jam between the doors as well as having to fabricate a custom bracket to attach the electric strike plate . they have the intercom system that I need but don't sell the electric panic bar .they recommended looking online .I did but got frustrated .

the church runs 2 daycare programs . These doors are mostly used for the parents to drop off & pick up their children as well as an occasional delivery . .There are no vertical top to bottom bars .this historical church was built in 1860 .so I don't think the custom fabricated angle iron bracket to mount an electric strike plate will be aesthetically OK.

I tried to attach pictures but i cant .the file is too big

I was hoping that someone would say ,

I use these ..... electric panic bars for years now and they work great ! Lol

Thanks again ssmith10pn ,

The church received about $1000 in donations towards the access control system so hopefully I can keep it fairly close to that .

As far as the install wiring part goes , I have full access to the attic above the door and the intercom locations and there is an old broken radio shack intercom there with an old 19guage bell wire in place to use as a drag so I got that going for me .

I'm concerned with the durability of the wiring at the door hinge and how the pro's handle it .on the sdc website I noticed they sell hinges with the wiring in them .while this sounds like the a good solution ,I'm not sure on the durability . I'm wondering if this is what the pro's use or if it's just a future headache in the making ? ? ?

Maybe use metal wire mold down to a single gang box and then use a armored cable to the device.

http://www.securitron.com/en/site/securitron/products/power-transfers/tsb-c-door-cord/

I'm thinking this way is definitely easier & faster , but less aesthetically pleasing .I'm not so sure I want to mess with hinges on a 157 year old church.i also don't want to do a slap job either .im sure electric hinges are not cheap .im going to price it out both ways and let the church committee decide . thanks for all the info !

After looking at it again today , I won't have to use any wire mold .the intercom is going in the bay next to the wire side of the door jam .I can put a retro fit box behind the intercom and make all my connections there .im pretty sure i can attach and run the armored cable to & through the jam . Depending on the lead length of the armoured cable , I can put another retro fit box on the inside in the same Bay or a shallow surface mount box next to the door .I already have 3 old intercom bell wires in that Bay to use for a drag to the attic/storage area .I think the armoured cable is the way to go for now .they plan on replacing both sets of double doors in the next year or two .