harrytherid

matching cameras to monitors

I have a very nice 8 inch 1024X768 colour monitor which I use in my motorhome as a reversing, and rear view camera system. So far I have cheap cameras which sort of do the job but do not match the resolution and have no IR cut. These limitations give me a poor picture, especially in poor light, and I wish to improve matters. I decided that I would have to get a couple of 1024*768 resolution cameras but can not find any. There are lots of 720p and 1080p which sound lovely but I am afraid to spend money on something that I am not convinced will work. Presumably there will be some kind of adapter that can be set to bring the resolution of these HD cameras up/down to match the monitor but I need some help to decide what is wanted. Help please.

Yours Harrytherid

are the cameras you currently use wireless? and do they talk directly to the monitor? Might help if you mentioned exactly what you currently have.

Hello Mattaggie

Thanks for the reply and sorry I was not sufficiently specific.

The cameras I currently use are wired. They are wired with phono plugs both ends. They are cheap Chinese reversing cameras which are similar , if not identical, to this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-24V-Van-Bus-Lorry-Car-Rear-View-Reversing-Parking-Camera-Backup-Night-Vision-/191836873135?hash=item2caa5e61af:g:brYAAOSwu4BVpg8k) which as you will see have a horizontal resolution of just 420lines.

My new monitor has various sockets :- BNC (I could use that with an adapter if thought desirable), Phono, )which includes sound which I do not use though I run the video of the second camera through the audio line of the cable) VGA , to use which would entail rewiring from front to back of the motorhome with a relatively heavy cable which I do not wish to do unless absolutely essential.

I hope that is enough to give you a clearer picture.

Yours Harry

Hi Mattaggie,

No reply from you and you seemed to be about to solve my problem, or at least I had high hopes. I hope you are OK. I am still desperate for an answer.

Yours, Harry

Hi. If you are using two cameras I would connect one to the yellow RCA on the monitor and the other camera to the BNC input....... You will need a RCA to BNC connector.

This will then make it easy to switch cameras by selecting input source

Then see how your image is.

Thanks for the answer tomcctv.

Unfortunately you misunderstand. My problem is not how to switch between cameras, that I can manage OK in various ways and probably by a rotary switch on the dash board connected to which I may eventually have four or even five cameras.

The problem is:- I bought what looks to me like a very nice 1024X768 suitably sized (8inch screen) monitor with phono and BNC sockets so I have that choice. I am finding, now, that I am having trouble locating suitably matched cameras. I thought that I would find cameras giving a 1024X768 resolution but this seems not to be the case. If I buy what is apparently one of the more common now i.e. a 1080p, what will be the result of plugging it into the monitor. Will I have problems with non matching resolutions and if so is there as gismo I can get that will match the cameras to the monitor?

Yours Harry

Hi. You can use turret 960h cameras ..... Give you a much better image than what you have listed.

Or you can go higher resolution with cvi cameras but you will need a mini dvr to accept the digital signal

The dvr will also give you the option to rotate the camera image ( you need this if using as a reverse camera)

Thanks for that, I will do some further research. The monitor already has the ability to rotate and/or mirror the image so I shall not need that facility and as yet I do not understand some of the terminology but I shall look it up. Thanks again.

Yours Harry

Thanks for that, I will do some further research. The monitor already has the ability to rotate and/or mirror the image so I shall not need that facility and as yet I do not understand some of the terminology but I shall look it up. Thanks again.

Yours Harry

Hi. Your monitor can only rotate analog cameras. If that is all you need look for 960h cameras

Hi Tomcctv,

Thanks for your very helpful contribution, I was about to give up. Now I might be getting somewhere near a resolution (excuse the pun) to the problem. The 960H cameras will only deliver a resolution 582 vertical lines unless I am misunderstanding something. This is not much more then the 480 (I think) of my old system which is horrible. Someone was talking about 700TVL but they were talking about DVRs in which I am not interested.

What struck me last night, was that if I was able to get some small and not too expensive nor power hungry, gismo that would convert from 1080p to 1024x768 VGA which the monitor I have will support (sorry I did not mention that input before as I did not at the time think it relevant) then that might be the best of all worlds. Any ideas of what to look for if such exists? Exciting!

Harry

Hi. No that will not work. .... you need 960h camera ...... That is the maximum you can have without using a mini NVR

For a simple camera swap you need 960h golfball type cameras.

Your monitor resolution does not matter .....and you don't match cameras to it.

Analog (which is your system) 960h is the best for your needs