Sign in to follow this  
kris77

Need an upgrade. Need some advice.

Hi all,

New to the forum, but not new to security systems and camera systems. About 10 yrs ago i got out of the security camera and home security business. The company I worked for sold 3 types of camera systems. They actually went out to Sams and Costco and bought the off the shelf brand and did installs. They had a middle of the road system. Then an advanced custom system.

We had a customer buy one of the off the shelf Sams Club systems and hated it. When they returned it, i took it home and installed it at my house. Its an older 720tvl with Swann 615 bullet cameras. Pretty sure they are all analog and they have HORRIBLE picture. I mean i can see what color a car is in the driveway, but by no means any facial features or license plates or even identifying markings on the car.

I'm looking to upgrade and have been out of the game so long, i'm not real sure what all is out there now. I'm reading that the IP cameras with NVR is really the best bang for the buck right now.

Can someone recommend a middle of the road system for me? ~$500-$700. Maybe even $1000 if its a real good deal.

I'm looking for at least 8 channel, motion recording, smart phone access, decent night vision obviously ~50ft...

I would like to be able to add a PTZ eventually. And one thing i cannot do right now is monitor an old barn on my property. Its about 100-150yds away. I would love to be able to get a camera out there somehow. Not sure how to do that right now though.

I did see this system on Lorax's website and it looked decent. I'm not set on Lorax, I like the way the swann system is set up now, just quality isnt the best. Here is the Lorax system i was looking at. Its a little more than I want to pay though...

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-ip-security-camera-system/2k-resolution-security-system-8-color-night-vision-ip-cameras/HDIP88BW-1-p

Any options from you guys?

You might want to have a look at the newer 720p and 1080p HD Analogue cameras.

Brilliant quality for home use and in most cases you can retain your old wiring. Assuming it is still in good condition.

I am a HIKVision fanboy, so I'd suggest you start with that. Sorry, can't help with pricing since I'm on a different continent. But definitely cheaper than IP!