SB_Jim

IR Compatability (Visible vs Non-Visible)

Hello,

I've been wondering whether or not my existing 2MP Swann IP cams (which use visible IR) would benefit if I were to install "non-visible" (to our eyes) IR illumination to the area of interest?

The purpose would be to remain as stealth as possible while at the same time improving my night time imaging.

Thx for the help.

Jim

Hello,

I've been wondering whether or not my existing 2MP Swann IP cams (which use visible IR) would benefit if I were to install "non-visible" (to our eyes) IR illumination to the area of interest?

The purpose would be to remain as stealth as possible while at the same time improving my night time imaging.

Thx for the help.

Jim

Really?? 60 people view this post and nobody knows the answer? I know there are very talented and smart folks on this forum. Would one of you please render a comment on my question please?

Jim

Jimbo, your cameras should be able to see the invisible, 930nm lighting. You will need roughly twice as much wattage for the 930nm lighting as the 850nm your camera currently uses.

Try a google search for 850nm vs 930nm ir lighting.

Hi. Going from 850nm to 930nm does not work also 930 will be a expensive IR laminator

930 is always half of what you will get from 850

I would look at just replacing your camera for a starlight

Hi. Going from 850nm to 930nm does not work also 930 will be a expensive IR laminator

930 is always half of what you will get from 850

I would look at just replacing your camera for a starlight

Thanks for that! My cameras are working properly, however, there is an area of the front yard where I could use some add'l light. I could also install a traditional light - which would solve the problem.

So you're saying that my existing cameras will not see the "light" produced by a 930 nm IR?

They will most likely see the 930nm light, just not as well. You will need roughly double the wattage output over 850nm lighting. Or as Tom posted the 930nm puts out half of the 850nm lighting.

They will most likely see the 930nm light, just not as well. You will need roughly double the wattage output over 850nm lighting. Or as Tom posted the 930nm puts out half of the 850nm lighting.

Excellent - thanks to you both for the great explanation. Very helpful as I consider my options.