Sign in to follow this  
artskynet

IP Camera Setup

Hello Experts,

Newbie here. Just want to ask if it's possible to set up an IP camera with an 800meter distance LAN cable wire through cascading PoE switches...

Would the video coverage be okay that far?

I'm planning to use PoE switch so nothing to worry about the power line in the areas where I put the IP cameras.

Need your recommendation, guys. Thanks in Advance!

it may be cheaper to run a piece of fiber if you have power for the camera within 100 meters. I saw some fiber adaptors from ubiquity for 49.00 each so the costs of fiber vs all those switches may be a better answer.

another plus is fewer points of failure.

Hi jeromephone,

Thanks for your response.

The reason why I use cascaded switches is to split a single line cable from the nvr so I can put more cameras. But the cascading setup will work to reach a 800-meter distance camera?

it would work but if you stay with 100 meter standard you are looking at several switches I am not sure but I think the ethernet standard has a limitation on how many hops are permitted. Looking on the cisco website it apperars that 7 hops (switches) are allowed but there are all types of things to consider when doing this and they are only talking about certain cisco switches.

Thank you for the wonderful explanation. I am now confused which method to use to save money.

Actually, My client wants me to install 16 to 32 IP cameras along the streets. I search for a wireless setup but don't know what exactly wireless gadgets to use. My IP cameras are all 2MP. I want to setup a basestation where the NVR is located and stations with 2 cameras on every post.

Any suggestion on wireless setup?