Sign in to follow this  
Centredome

I want a camera that doesn't require Wi-fi

I've been having problems with my next door neighbor who lives just 5 feet away (yes, the houses were built that close together in the late 1800s) and they have a camera pointed at my house and over my fence into my fenced in backyard. It turns out that it's legal. There have been many other problems with the neighbor that I won't go into here including harassment and constantly calling the police on me, but to keep a very long story short, I just want to be able to catch them in the act of what things they've been doing so I can have the evidence I keep being told by the police that I'd need to be able to do anything about it.

Now, about cameras: I've been shopping around and discovering that pretty much all of them operate by detecting motion and then sending notifications to a smartphone. They are also controlled by smartphone apps through Wi-fi and an internet connection. The major problem I have is that I don't have internet service in my home. I've asked people on Youtube who were demonstrating cameras I was interested in and they tell me that Wi-fi is necessary not only to operate the camera, but even to set it up.

What I'd like to get is a camera that records video when motion is detected, and stores it on a memory card that I can review later. As for adjusting various settings, perhaps they could be done by connecting it to my laptop with a USB cable or some other method. Does such a camera exist? I've heard of using a trail camera for this purpose, but I don't think they can be adjusted for motion detection sensitivity, which is something I might need to do if it's to be used outside.

Edited by Guest

I have a Bayit outdoor wifi camera that records to a SD drive, you'd need a network cord to plug in to your computer to set it up and mine came with one, once you're set up, you can manually retrieve the SD card to view but it's not convenient to remove the drive.

Hi. For the reason you need CCTV I would go for wired cameras and a dvr.

Going SD card you will be up and down ladder each day and then having to backup the SD card to put it back.

With a dvr and two cameras you could get a full month of play back and be able to connect the dvr direct to your tv.... No need for computer or any network. And you can play back anytime you like without stopping recordings.

This system from DAHUA is a good starting price.

As well as motion detect (which would make you tv bleep if needed)

Also has spot detection. Which is very good.

Say you notice your bin outside has moved ..... You go to playback.... Click spot and you put a spot on your bin with the mouse on the dvr..... Press play and it shows you the time and who moved your bin with video.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-dvr-security-system/2-camera-hd-home-security-system-with-long-range-night-vision/MPX42W-1-p

Hi. For the reason you need CCTV I would go for wired cameras and a dvr.

Going SD card you will be up and down ladder each day and then having to backup the SD card to put it back.

With a dvr and two cameras you could get a full month of play back and be able to connect the dvr direct to your tv.... No need for computer or any network. And you can play back anytime you like without stopping recordings.

This system from DAHUA is a good starting price.

As well as motion detect (which would make you tv bleep if needed)

Also has spot detection. Which is very good.

Say you notice your bin outside has moved ..... You go to playback.... Click spot and you put a spot on your bin with the mouse on the dvr..... Press play and it shows you the time and who moved your bin with video.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-dvr-security-system/2-camera-hd-home-security-system-with-long-range-night-vision/MPX42W-1-p

That's very interesting! Thank you for that information and recommendation.

I guess I should have noted that I wasn't looking to spend alot of money. Maybe up to $100 or so. I've seen cameras such as the one my neighbor has pointed at me:

https://www.amazon.com/YI-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-Auto-Cruise/dp/B01CW4BG4K which cost only about $40 and was hoping to get something similar, but without the need to have Wi-fi and internet access. Sorry about that link above not being clickable. I don't know how to fix that.