Sign in to follow this  
the toss

Anyone from Chicago or thereabouts ?

Myself , my son & a friend are looking at doing the Route 66 drive about this time next year. I am looking for someone who lives in the Chicago area to liase with and maybe help out with information etc. The idea is to purchase a cheap car at the east end & dispose of at the west side. Info on the purchase and selling of vehicles in the states as well as anything else that may be relevant would be handy. Hoping someone can help out.

thanks in advance - The Toss

I would look at a rental many have one way so you can rent in chi and leave it in Cal when you are done. With insurance, roadside assistance and a newer car you will probably have few if any problems. Buying a car getting ins as a non-citizen will be a problem as well as Cal has many pollution restrictions so selling an out of state car may be impossible. You have plenty of time search for a good rental deal and practise driving on the wrong side of the road

So if we were to stick with the buying a car plan do you think it may be better to go west to east and buy a pollution compliant car in California ?

@ dont think the cops here would be happy about me practising driving on the wrong side of the road.

Hi. I second go for hire .... Much cheaper .

With having uk address and US address I know the pitfalls of short term buying

Buying you will need temp number plates and going that distance it's not worth the problems.

You have a year to plan your trip ..... A lot of people do the Route 66 and do one way ..... Remember a hire car from east to west or west to east means the car finishes out of state and needs to go back. When booking your car check with the hire company were your going to Finish your drive to see if they have a car of there's at the start......then you are returning a car someone else used.

Also booking your flight ....go to a website called star alliance and register. If your airline is a member you will get a massive discount on car hire and hotel costs. I did it for a few years before I bought a pickup.

I have not done 66 but have done full east cost and mid west.

Toss.....You might end up not wanting to go home

Ok Jerome & Tom -after a bit of homework you have me convinced. With no US address insurance is going to be the main problem. I like the idea of trying for a vehicle retrieval trip. I'm guessing that most route 66 trips are the traditional direction of east to west so I might try car rentals in Cal to see about this.

next - what's the go with tipping ??

You do not need to tip us.

At a resuturant usually 15 percent or so at fast

food nothing.

Crappy custom I would rather pay a little more for the service knowing the employee is making a fair wage.

what's the go with tipping

15%, 20% if they were real good. I haven't done it, but if they were really lousy, nothing.