dfwflash101st

Installing Cameras On A 2 Story House

Maybe you pro's can help me.

I want to install 4 cameras on my house. Its a 2 story house. Going to put the cameras under the eves.....on 4 corners. Should the cable be wrapped around the house or pulled thru the attic....wow...that sure is high. Anyway....want to put the dvr on the first floor. What is the best way to do this.

Thanks in advance

Definitely through the attic. Without seeing the house I can think of a couple options for getting the cables down to the first floor.

If you are lucky you would have two closets stacked one on the top floor, one below it on the first floor. Simply punch through the ceiling from the attic into top closet (in the corner) punch through the floor of the top closet into the ceiling of the first floor closet. Now your cables are downstairs.

You can modify this method for your situation. Coming down any walls in inconspicuous locations. They make "wire mold" type products that are nice raceways for running cables down walls and along baseboards.

If you are handy you can fish the cables into the walls. There are ways of fishing two story's. Not so easy and you might have to buy special tools.

If you decide you need to come down the outside wall you should still run the cables through the attic. Then punch through all the cables down the outside wall in one spot. It will look a lot better and you won't have to put in so much ladder time. Camouflage as you see fit.

You're welcome. Are any of those tips going to work for your situation? We have more cable pulling ideas. If you have a specific obstacle-- describe it. Someone here probably has a solution...

Check your camera views before you permantly mount them. You may want vari-focal type lenses. Many cameras are wide angle and you won"t get much detail.

My two cents worth, (before inflation)

Just a couple hints as I too have a two story house and just installed two cameras. A test run at the eaves proved to be much too high. I was lucky and found a way to cable to the front garage eave at about 8 feet and a rear door eave at about 10 feet. This provided a much better image. The cameras are a Pelco Spectra IIISE and a Spectra IVSE in the environmental recessed back boxes with clear lower domes. They look great as they are black housings in black soffit. I have set several inputs from my intrusion system for each cameras presets and the locations allow for a 360 degree view of the front and back yards for patterns.