parushton

Remote Viewing

Re posted in correct forum

I have recently fitted an Avtech 791 system at home.

It is connected to a 'SKY' router and i have set up a DNS account and port forwarding.

Using my wireless laptop at home i can see the DVR using Video Viewer through the local port and the DNS address.

I can go onto internet explorer and view the DVR using the DNS address.

Unfortuanately when i go to work and try to access the DVR through Video Viewer it comes up 'Login Fail' and if i try to access through internet exporer the DVR screen loads but the video screen is black and it says disconnect in the top lh corner.

Has anybody come across this in the past

Many Thanks for any assistance

One would have to be on site in order to make an informed decision.

The hardest thing I find with remote viewing at work will be based on your relationship with the IT guy.

In your case they may have a firewall blocking you from viewing. See what he can do to help that would not violate any security "settings".

As to the logging in to the screen, and finding it black.....

I am going to say that you do not have admin rights with this computer?

Perhaps you are unable to load active X.

Note: The companies will not pay Microsoft their fee, and have Microsoft sign the certificate. The companies will just issue it as an unsigned certificate. You will need to make changes on the computer in the internet options screen under the security tab. Again you will need the help of the IT guy.

What do you think?

Thanks for prompt reply.

With the internet option i could access the settings on the DVR but couldnt see the video.

However i cant even do that now, i think the ip address associated with the

dndns account has changed and i am not able to log in at all now.

I need to study more threads regarding static/dynamic addresses and try again.

Regards

The DNS company will put an application on a PC located where the DVR is located. This ap will call out to see what the IP address is. It will take this IP address, and send it to the DNS company. The DNS company will look at the IP address. If the one on "file" is the same then no changes are required. If the incoming IP address does not match the one on file then it will update the file to the new IP address.

In your the DNS IP address should still connect you back to your DVR.

I have in the past seen where people use their laptop to set up the account, and then take it to work log in at work, and the DNS ap detects the IP change, and sends this back to the company. When they log in to their DVR they are actually being rerouted to the work IP rather then where the DVR is located.

I do not think this is the problem in your case.

Your problem is a mystery!

Hi Parushton,

I'm having similar problems and it seems remote viewing is a very popular subject!

I take it you are having to use a dns company because your IP is not fixed? I've had a similar problem using a 4 ch unit. Login on the same LAN is no problem, and as long as I know the current IP address remote login is good too. However, once the IP changes the dns account does not seem to up date it. I've put a few posts up myself and the kind fellows on here are helping me through it but I'm not there yet. I recon I have not set up the dns account properly and think it's something else I have to enable in the router.

With regard to you being able to log onto the DVR but have no video I have exactly that problem when trying to use a mobile broadband connection. I have had the DVR up on the desktop all ok. I've then logged onto the DVR via a mobile broadband connection and got the DVR controls up but no video. I can even control the DVR via the mobile connection and see the changes happen on the desktop but just can't get video. The guys here have suggested trying to use a higher port like 5550 or something but it was having none of it.

If I crack it I will celebrate big time and let you all know! In the meantime keep plugging away and let us know of any progress.

Sorry for the long winded post

Cheers,

John.

Hi John

I am using a Sky Broadband router which changes ip all the time, so have used the dyndns site to dreate an account and this seems to be working now.

Changed my port to 888 and have also created different user credentials

to log onto the DVR and touch wood everthing is now working. (it probably didnt like logging in as admin/admin from so many different places.

Keep up the good work everybody.

Hi parushton.

scorpion has given you very good advise. but with him being in a very hot part of the world florida. (lucky guy) he will not know about your internet provider.

sky broadband will block external connection to your router. and they will not give you or let you use a static ip. this is a big problem in the uk with sky most people have to change or add another phone line and broadband to get past this. also talk talk and virgin broadband are trying to do the same. however if you talk to sky and tell them what you are trying to do they might unlock that side of the router (i take it is a sky netgear ?) but they will add a monthly charge.

Hi parushton.

scorpion has given you very good advise. but with him being in a very hot part of the world florida. (lucky guy) he will not know about your internet provider.

sky broadband will block external connection to your router. and they will not give you or let you use a static ip. this is a big problem in the uk with sky most people have to change or add another phone line and broadband to get past this. also talk talk and virgin broadband are trying to do the same. however if you talk to sky and tell them what you are trying to do they might unlock that side of the router (i take it is a sky netgear ?) but they will add a monthly charge.

Thanks for the headup! I will file that info away!

After many months of happy remote viewing with my AVC791 i started playing about with eagleeyes lite on my phone. It connected first time then disconnected.

Since then i havent been able to remote view my dvr from work.

Thinking id damaged the dvr and liking the eagle eye application ive bought an avtech KPD764 which ive set up at home and is working form laptop (video viewer and internet) and phone.

Unfortuanately when i tried from work it is still coming up with connection error form video viewer and the phone app just disconnects.

Ive checked the netgear router and the port im using 888 is being forwarded ok.

Ive also got problems with email alert but this may be to do with above.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Regards

Pete

Yes

Im using port 888 and it connects no problem from home but not remotely.

you dont need a port for local. 8887 8888 you need for remote.

My laptop at home connects wirelessly and the video viewer program requires a port number.

I have gone into my dvr and changed the port to 8888 and set up a rule in my router for 8887/8888.

Unfortuanately still having same problem even though log on netgear router says rule match.

My laptop at home connects wirelessly and the video viewer program requires a port number.

I have gone into my dvr and changed the port to 8888 and set up a rule in my router for 8887/8888.

Unfortuanately still having same problem even though log on netgear router says rule match.

while on your home network you cant use your external ip in most cases. you will have to check it from an external network.

Because its a sky router i have to use dyndns address which works remotely because i can access my laptop and my router from work.

Because its a sky router i have to use dyndns address which works remotely because i can access my laptop and my router from work.

have you directed your ip in ddns to use 8888 ???. i.e ddnsname:8888

yes.

hi. there are two AVC791 1 silver 1 black. which do you have ?

try setting your ports to 80. and then see what you get. also leave out your ddns account and go to your external ip instead. this is just to see what you get up on your screen.

My AVC791 is silver but ive goy my kpd 674 connected now.

Ive changed port no to 80 in the dvr and tried connecting with the ip address. no problem using video viewer from my home computer, but no luck from my works computer.

My AVC791 is silver but ive goy my kpd 674 connected now.

Ive changed port no to 80 in the dvr and tried connecting with the ip address. no problem using video viewer from my home computer, but no luck from my works computer.

ok. set everything to port 82. and on your router you are creating a service i.e CCTV with port 82. are you also listing your CCTV on the firewall rules ???

and how are you typing the address from IE.

Set dvr port to 82, created service & firewall rule cctv for port 82.

i can still connect from home with laptop & phone but not from work computer.

ie address is http://paravtech.mine.nu:82/ login/password guest/guest

Hi there,

log-in as admin/admin.

very nice garden you have there, you cam4 seems to have some connection issue.

CHeers..