Camera to capture traffic light status/color

The goal is to affix cameras to a moving vehicle in order to capture whether or not a vehicle ran through, or stopped, at a red light. Said camera will be used at night as-well-as the day-light hours and must pick-up full color. Which obviously means 'no' IR cameras.

What camera reccomendations and/or suggestions do you have. My pockets are not deep :~)

I do not have a constant Internet connection. I will check every three (3) or four (4) days for a a reply to this thread.

Thanks to all the memebers and the board admin(s).

I use an ir camera in my car and at night you can see which light is lit. Top = red, bot = green

But, I would be interested in the responses to this thread too

The goal is to affix cameras to a moving vehicle in order to capture whether or not a vehicle ran through, or stopped, at a red light. Said camera will be used at night as-well-as the day-light hours and must pick-up full color. Which obviously means 'no' IR cameras.

What camera reccomendations and/or suggestions do you have. My pockets are not deep :~)

I do not have a constant Internet connection. I will check every three (3) or four (4) days for a a reply to this thread.

Thanks to all the memebers and the board admin(s).

i sell and use this its called the t-eye. 2 cameras full data record. very good unit.

129191_1.jpg

I use an ir camera in my car and at night you can see which light is lit. Top = red, bot = green

:D

The Day/Night cameras: (provided by Lorex)<<

Model - MC6930

Model - MC6940

>> with this entry level system does not, while in IR mode, provided enough image detail/definition to be able to tell which light is lite; top, middle or bottom. Having a camera that is able to provide both the status/color in addition to which (top, middle or bottom lens) is lite would be most welcome.

how many cameras can your system take? and what quality are you recording at ?

you may have to have one dedicated for it. trouble is most use wide angle lens for a front camera and you will need very good quality to pick up the lights as they are often high above or off to the side and usually at a fair distance away.

how many cameras can your system take? and what quality are you recording at ?

you may have to have one dedicated for it. trouble is most use wide angle lens for a front camera and you will need very good quality to pick up the lights as they are often high above or off to the side and usually at a fair distance away.

I'm not sure I understand the motive for the above/quoted questions. My concern is 'what camera?' will do what my original post asks.

I'm assuming that most, if not all traffic lights are pretty-much the same distance fom the ground and/or vehicle stop-line/pedestrian crosswalk. The issue/concern is the camera; the DVR's I'm using are Lorex LH-310 and a Lorex LH-314.

just having a quick look at that setup.

you do realize thats its not actual a mobile DVR. you will have to make a mount for the unit and make a regulated power supply to run the unit and cameras off.

its a 4 camera DVR so you could run one camera for your forward view and one with a narrower lens pointed in the general direction of the traffic lights (assuming that in your country they are all roughly in the same place). your limited to 420's with that dvr.

in all honesty i would go find an actually mobile DVR and one that takes much higher quality cameras. quite a few here use avermedia ones http://www.avermedia.com/averdigi/product/Detail.aspx?id=210

the cameras themselves, size is often the big problem. if you don't mind full size cameras then the skys the limit. but often vehicles end up using mini cameras which tend to be a lot lower quality.

Can we focus on my posted concern (the camera). 'I don't currently' plan to reconfigure or purchase another DVR for this purpose.

I need to know what camera will do what my original post asks --using my current equipment (Lorex LH-314 -or- LH-310 dvr).

trouble for is i don't have many traffic lights around here. i don't have any stills of any incidents at traffic lights to show you. i will have to look through some footage and see what the lights look like especially at night.

trying to work out what bare minimum you need is a bit tricky. any good box camera with variable lens will always work to a degree, it just may not work as well as you want. the simply problem is with low resolution (due to dvr) with a wide angle lens makes small objects hard to see. more so at night which is the real tricky part.

if you look through threads theres plenty of recommendations of good camera brands.

if the streets are usually fairly well lit at night then a non IR low light camera i would be the go.

how that all fits in with the rest of the system, eg can you fit multiable box cameras in the cab of the vehicle ??

any good box camera with variable lens will always work to a degree, it just may not work as well as you want. the simply problem is with low resolution (due to dvr) with a wide angle lens makes small objects hard to see. more so at night which is the real tricky part.

if you look through threads theres plenty of recommendations of good camera brands.

if the streets are usually fairly well lit at night then a non IR low light camera i would be the go.

how that all fits in with the rest of the system, eg can you fit multiable box cameras in the cab of the vehicle ??

1) Night time is the real concern at this point

2) To the naked eye most streets here are fairly well lit, however, those same lights are in the path (line of sight) as the traffic light we're trying to capture. --low light camera may be worth a shot; any non-expensive models come to mind?

3) With regards to multiple cameras of any kind; The camera(s) will be mounted on the exterior of the vehicle and needless to say needs to be weather proof, --moving vehicle (high speed) during inclimate weather camera(s) may take on water. The main concern is capturing the color, red, green or yellow light to determine if the vehicle ran through the light traffic light or not.

The camera(s) will be mounted on the exterior of the vehicle and needless to say needs to be weather proof, --moving vehicle (high speed) during inclimate weather camera(s) may take on water. The main concern is capturing the color, red, green or yellow light to determine if the vehicle ran through the light traffic light or not.

the BIG problem with outside mounted is any rain or dirt fouls the camera lens very quickly. unless you can find a self cleaning lens that will fit or some way to direct the air flow so it pushes the rain/dirt away from the lens.

thats why people fit the cameras in the vehicle behind the window wiper area.

The main concern is --> 'what camera' will do what I need (at night)? Recommendations? I'll deal with the other concerns later.

You want a true day/night (ICR) camera, then. Lock it in night mode so the filter is out of the way and it should clearly pick up the traffic lights.

You want a true day/night (ICR) camera, then. Lock it in night mode so the filter is out of the way and it should clearly pick up the traffic lights.

Am I to assume most ICR cameras are compatible with the Lorex entry level dvr's such as the LH-314 and LH-310? Both are the same just 4-chan and 16-chan video inputs.

I do plan on replacing the DVR when the budget is up to speed, however, for now I'm in bed with this entry-level Lorex which is better than nothing at all.

Am I to assume most ICR cameras are compatible with the Lorex entry level dvr's such as the LH-314 and LH-310? Both are the same just 4-chan and 16-chan video inputs.

These are standard visible-light NTSC/PAL analog output CCTV cameras. The only thing "special" about them is the infrared filter that moves out of the way when they switch to night mode.

The only thing "special" about them is the infrared filter that moves out of the way when they switch to night mode.

Thank you all for your input. -- A special bow to 'Soundy'.

The problem with all of those 1.3 MP cameras are they use a cheap cmos chip that sucks at night. I have the X-Driven, T-Eye, and some other knock-off and the day pictures and GPS are the only good thing about them. I then purchased a camera called the Dr.9 from longintech.com and it is very good at both day and night because it has a 1/3 ccd chip. You can even change lens on it. Check it out http://www.longintech.com/dr9.htm

If you remember, I only need the camera. The 'DR.9' doesn't appear to have a jack/connector to attach to a standalone/dedicated DVR. IN fact, the brochure specifically states "Video/Audio Output = NO"

those recorders are incident recorders and won't work for your situation.

i got through traffic lights early tomorrow morning, hopefully its still dark enough to see what the lights looked like with a cheap camera.

sorry it was just past sun up when i got to the nearest set of lights. my cheap 420 no name board camera picks up the traffic lights ok in the lowish light. just not sure of what it would be like at night.

you might get away with just a basic camera. see if you can borrow one and find out.

Keep in mind that the traffic lights ARE their own light sources, and in theory should be the same brightness regardless of the ambient light. In fact, for this to work, you'll probably have to use a fixed- or manual-iris lens and turn off the camera's AGC, specifically to prevent the camera changing exposure to match the surrounding conditions. Once you have the proper exposure for the traffic lights, that shouldn't ever change.

this would work out fine for you http://www.ktnc.co.kr/english/viewtopic.php?t=653

1) I was looking at soundys' initial 'ICR' suggestion ...

2) My DVR is 'not' HD, would your (dopalgangr) suggested camera be compatible?

I'm located in the USA (EDT/EST). Would you be kind enough to recommend a closer entity\distributor? There may also be a language barrier (with me, if I try an contact an organization located in Korea.

this should work, mount it in the car. this is very inexpensive.

http://www.ktnc.co.kr/english/viewtopic.php?t=434

as mentioned the traffic light is a light already. color camera should see it fine.

rory, thanks but; We would prefer to mount this camera on the exterior of the vehicle. Allow me to also ask, is there a local office/dist for this manufacturer?