jtreibick

DVR Remote Access without Port Forwarding

Is there a DVR that does not require router port forwarding for remote viewing outside a local network?

I am thinking of something like Logmein which does not require port forwarding to be accessed anywhere.

There are a few... I recently set up a Digimerge that connects out to a central server, then you set the client software to connect to that.

I called Digimerge and both sales and tech support said they do not make a DVR without the need for port forwarding. They said their DVRs have DDNS, but still require the router be configured for port forwarding of data.

I think log me in uses client software that continuously "dials out" to their server and keeps the the router ports open for data through an outbound request.

Kind of like sykpe or Slingbox which can initiate streaming video without router config.

Is there any DVR with this capability?

Any suggestions?

Hi is there a problem why you cant use ports ?? some routers or hubs have now got good security built in which is going to make access harder without ports.

I called Digimerge and both sales and tech support said they do not make a DVR without the need for port forwarding. They said their DVRs have DDNS, but still require the router be configured for port forwarding of data.

Ooooh crap, you're right, it wasn't a Digimerge... uh... what what it now? Crap... can't remember.

That is what I've been playing with (See other thread here)...

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26338

It works well for me (The free software accesses you from the DVR via Skype)

Not sure it has caught on yet though.

I'm about 2 weeks into using it with no issues so far.

BC

Hi still needs ports. and you only get snapshots. $99 a year. and for that they want to know everything about you except the name of your dog.

Hi still needs ports. and you only get snapshots. $99 a year. and for that they want to know everything about you except the name of your dog.

They did ask a lot of questions (although I notice none of the blanks were required - I only gave them my email so I could get set up) -

And they didn't charge me anything - I did just find the reference to the $99 per year but best I can tell that is a possible charge after the beta runs out a year from now. I don't know how they could enforce it since they do not have my credit card number. I suppose they could cut me off but no way to charge me I don't think...

Anyway - it was interesting in that I had to tweak my motion detection settings to get the snapshots to give me exactly what I wanted (before I adjusted I got a lot of people's backs walking away) - They are missing instructions on how to do that. But now I like the snapshots - I get little grabs of what is going on at home and at my business and dont have full motion video bogging down my connection all the time -I kind of like it. Sounds like I'm in the minority though.

Oh - and I didn't open any ports - I'm not really sure how it works but the router is completely locked down. I think it is like dyndns.

BC

Re that program:

From their readme.

------------------

So, how does it all work?

1) Your DVR detects motion, and after setup will email a picture of that motion to our server

2) Our server grabs the picture, puts it on your own private ftp account and sends an alert link via skype.

Note - even if you do not use the client, you will still get the alerts via skype. They come in as simple links to your picture and you can click on them to open them in your default browser

3) Our client watches for those specific links and displays them on your desktop - and keeps track of them so you can page through them in chronological order

Legal goo...

Your pictures are automatically deleted after a few hours.

-------------------

so basically they just setup an FTP account and folder for your DVR to send snapshots to (in this case its sent using email then they dump it in the ftp folder), most DVRs have the option to do ftp and or email, in this case they are providing the FTP hosting for you (alternatively you could run your own FTP server but then have to open ports). I doubt they will provide the FTP account unless you buy a DVR from them? Sounds like they let you use their SMTP server also.

well i once try a few player you really don't need to do the port forwarding to get the remote viewer to be done, you actually can do it in the DMZ setting. But hopefully you only use that line for remote viewing otherwise you might need to do another setting. But sometime different ISP does blocking some port so you are unble to do remote viewing.

Is there a DVR that does not require router port forwarding for remote viewing outside a local network?

I am thinking of something like Logmein which does not require port forwarding to be accessed anywhere.

If it's a Windows based DVR you can just install logmein. Issue solved.

If it's a stand alone DVR you can try contacting your ISP and see if you can obtain a static IP address that can be assigned to network devices behind the DSL/Cable modem.

And, of course, another solution is to put the DVR's IP Address in the router's DMZ as previously mentioned.