Fancy

Black spot problem with night vision camera

I recently purchased an inexpensive Defender 4cam system for a few hundred dollars. I like everything about this cheap little system except I sometimes get a black spot (large blacked out area or thick black stationary line) when one of the cameras is in night vision mode. I went outside to see if some huge black spider or something was sitting on the lens and I shined a bright flashlight on the camera to inspect it. Presto the camera was fine after that. This problem has happened 3 times now and each time, I can fix it by directing a bright light at it for a second. Anyone know what is wrong with this camera? It this maybe a common problem with cheap ir cameras?

I just wanted to get my feet wet in setting up a surveillance system and monitoring it remotely without spending a lot of money. I'm surprised at the nice clear day and night images and how easy it all was to set up and view online but this black line/spot issue has me worried.

Thanks!

Not sure. It could be the IR screwing up or maybe the power is low if it's a long run of cable. If it has an IR cut filter maybe that's getting stuck- who knows. The main thing is to get a replacement camera for it. If it's a recent purchase, it should be under warranty and you shouldn't have a finky camera. Don't fix and don't wait- start the replacement process. Good luck.

Thanks Shockwave, you're probably right and I will contact Defender and see how their customer support responds.

Not sure. It could be the IR screwing up or maybe the power is low if it's a long run of cable. If it has an IR cut filter maybe that's getting stuck- who knows. The main thing is to get a replacement camera for it. If it's a recent purchase, it should be under warranty and you shouldn't have a finky camera. Don't fix and don't wait- start the replacement process. Good luck.

Well, guess what Shockwave....I contacted Defender at their support number and it turns out that cameras and DVRs purchased from Sam's Club and BJ's (an online store) have serial numbers and model numbers that are not standard for Defender products and support canot help me. This is a surprising turn of events.

I contacted BJ's to see if they can give me a model number and s/n that Defender will acknowledge as being one of their systems. I'm still mostly pleased with the Defender system I purchased but getting support might turn into an issue. Maybe half the battle of obtaining a good system is to have good support behind it? Perhaps I'm learning an important lesson.

That is a lot of it, although that's a lousy thing to have happen. It's typical with boxed systems that the cameras are crap. You can say the cables or the dvr might be crap too, but cables can last a long while and dvr's can be just fine too. The cameras though, out there taking a beating will be the first to go, ime. And they're sometimes older discontinued or the cheaper cameras included. So, lesson learned. But if the dvr is doing well for you and everything else is ok, consider getting a better camera for a replacement. Read up here- it's no secret who carries what and where you can buy them. What will happen is you'll put a better camera in place and then one by one you'll want change them all out. No matter what drives you with this, we are all used to good pictures. We don't tolerate crumby video feeds for long- it just stinks to look at, let alone what it's recording. So if all else is working, the upgrades will be the cameras anyway. And that may be the lesson- building an analog system piece by piece with good gear is better than a crap shoot in a boxed deal. I did the same thing and what remains of my boxed q-see system is the dvr and cables. All cameras were switched out pretty quickly. The only thing you should try if you can is a different cable. Just make sure it's really the camera and not something else. Try a different cable, a different channel in the dvr, and a different power supply just to make sure it's actually the camera that's the problem. Good luck.

I can fix it by directing a bright light at it for a second. Anyone know what is wrong with this camera? It this maybe a common problem with cheap ir cameras

hi. first thing i would do is swap the problem camera with another you have installed and see if it does the same in another location. and make shure that the camera is not looking at any light in its FOV.

the problem with kits is power supplies and the cable used. (yours has din connectors to RCA) and 60ft long. with all cameras being IR when they switch over some power units dont have enough power for the surge and 1 or 2 camera might not switch over. and thin wires can also limit amps needed.

can you give details of your power supply volts and amps .

I will take your advice and switch the problem camera with another one in a different location. Two of the cameras are facing a motion sensor light that comes on and off occasionally but only one of cameras is having the black spot problem. I'm afraid it will take some time to isolate the problem by switching the cameras around because the problem is not happening very often. The cameras have been on 24/7 for almost 3 weeks and the problem has only occurred 3 times.

The power supply is a standard looking DC converter 12V 2A and it splits off to supply power to all 4 cameras. Wouldn't you know it....the problem camera is the one located way up on the second story eave. The lower cameras are all doing fine.

At this point I'm becoming more concerned about the problem I'm having getting support from the Manufacturer due to the model number / serial number issue than I am with the black spot. I'll post an update if the problem happens with a different camera when I switch them around. I guess that will mean a possible bad cable? And, if the same camera continues to have a problem in a new location...then its maybe the camera itself? Thanks for the help!

Well, guess what Shockwave....I contacted Defender at their support number and it turns out that cameras and DVRs purchased from Sam's Club and BJ's (an online store) have serial numbers and model numbers that are not standard for Defender products and support canot help me. This is a surprising turn of events.

Not surprising at all, actually...

Maybe half the battle of obtaining a good system is to have good support behind it?

Nailed it!