Sign in to follow this  
Korgoth Of Barbaria

ExacqVision - how many users can connect to one server

I've never ran into issues, but all my users usually log in under the same username as they all have the same permissions for the most part. Bandwidth would be the issue I would assume.

I have 10-20 logged in at once at times with no issues.

Most just use the web view here as it does everything most people want or need, it might help you as then you dont have to configure the client for 500 people!

Wow, 500 users all accessing one video feed. Have you run that by a bandwidth calculator to see if that's feasible? Also, can the server, the router, your network handle that internally? There are services that take in a feed from your cameras and stream it to the internet.

Bandwidth is really going to be an issue there, what is the connectivity from the users to the NVR? If the connection to the Exacq is just cable/DSL or similar, and the users are going to connect the same way, you might need to stream to a CDN (Content Delivery Network), and have the users connect to that. (Not cheap, though).

There is a Exacq document on how to upgrade the LightTPD web server to Apache for more user connections here https://www.exacq.com/kb/kbdl.php?fid=2f3e922d-74ef-c1bb-c5ff-4be85188cb88.

Wouldn't multicast reduce the bandwidth needed, by letting all the users tap into the same stream? I'm not a network geek and I never support lots of users, but that's how I understand it. The server has to support multicast, of course.

Wouldn't multicast reduce the bandwidth needed, by letting all the users tap into the same stream? I'm not a network geek and I never support lots of users, but that's how I understand it. The server has to support multicast, of course.
Multicast IP's are not routable on typical WAN connections (ie. users connecting through their ISP).

If users are all able to connect via a local network, multicasting can indeed reduce bandwidth, but you do also need a VMS that supports it.

Milestone Corporate, and presumably it's ONSSI equivalent do, and I think Genetec may, but I do not think that Exacq does.