Sign in to follow this  
shanef

Need help finding a VMS software/NVR for my application

Hi,

I have a application where my customer needs a video management software that has true live video (no delay in live view mode).

The customer also requests digital ptz. Do any of you know of a VMS that can accomplish this? We are using axis cameras- mostly Q1755.

Any advice is appreciated.

By the inherent nature of IP cameras, there is a delay from the camera to apply postprocessing including noise reduction and compression. Some cameras have faster processors than others, but it's not instantaneos like an analog camera. Most software I've used has close to the same lag that accessing the camera directly via their web browser. You can speed things up by turning off compression (set it to the highest quality) and switch to a lower overhead compressoin algorythm, like mjpeg.

I realize that a IP system will have a certain amount of delay in live view mode. I have used Avigilon, Axis, and a custom built software (developed for satellite video transmission). The Avigilon software has everything i want except a true (or at least close to true) live view, I usually get a delay of 1 second- this is too much for the customer, being that these cameras are used to operate equipment from a distance.

Note that the custom software has almost no delay (far less than a second), but it lacks the other features, and ease of setup as other VMS that we use.

And the customer does not want a analog system....

So what I ask- Does a video management software exist that is without (or close to without) delay?

I think in addition to video compression process & video rendering capability of your display device, speed of communication between the devices also contribute to the little delay that occurs in ip video transmission, if your network is well designed with every factor put in consideration, you may have an almost realtime video feeds over the LAN. Also, if you are viewing from remote end, the quality of bandwith available for streaming will determine the quality and promptness of the video feeds.

How many hops do you have on your network? I have deployed a lot Avigilon and I have yet to see a 1 second delay. Also has other have said you are always going to have a delay with IP cameras... HDCCTV is the only way your going to get HD image without a delay but this does not run over the network.