echelon6

How To Send Av Signal To All Tvs Around The House?

I have a CCTV DVR that only outputs as AV (the yellow red white) and I would like to be able to view this on my TVs throughout the house. I've got TV antenna coax wallplugs wired throughout the house. Is there some way I can send the AV signal around the house as a TV channel?

I was looking at http://www.avaustralia.com.au/products/Pro-2-RF-Modulator-with-PAL-type-Connection.html - would soemthing like this work? the guy at the shop said I also need a splitter which I'm not familiar with. Can anyone help?

Yep, a simple RF modulator will work. You can find very cheap ones that work on channel 3-4, in fact you might already have one if you have an older video game system. If you already have a tv signal running on that coax, it gets a bit more complicated. You'll have to find some open channels and use a more expensive modulator.

As "yakky" said, if you are not accessing (using) channel 3 or 4 on your antenna system, you can use a channel 3 or 4 signal combiner/injector (similar to a splitter but designed specifically for one channel only) with a modulator and you're good to go. A real simple and effective way to do it.

Dennis

As "yakky" said, if you are not accessing (using) channel 3 or 4 on your antenna system, you can use a channel 3 or 4 signal combiner/injector (similar to a splitter but designed specifically for one channel only) with a modulator and you're good to go. A real simple and effective way to do it.

Dennis

Except that it won't work on a digital TV

I've been in the TV service business for 50 years and digital or not (In America) and at my shop, I program televisions to receive analog channel 3 and digital combined into one line that feeds our whole tv shop. Any of the newer digital TV's that we hook to one of our outlets, is auto-scanned and they pick up analog channel 3 and all of the digital channels that are available. That allows our customers to have their cable converter and digital antenna system connected at the same time. Access channel 3 and watch all of their cable channels through their cable converter and leave channel 3 for digital channel 8-1 or whatever. Just did it this evening with a new Sanyo LCD TV that came in for service with an audio problem.

Dennis

I've been in the TV service business for 50 years and digital or not (In America) and at my shop, I program televisions to receive analog channel 3 and digital combined into one line that feeds our whole tv shop. Any of the newer digital TV's that we hook to one of our outlets, is auto-scanned and they pick up analog channel 3 and all of the digital channels that are available. That allows our customers to have their cable converter and digital antenna system connected at the same time. Access channel 3 and watch all of their cable channels through their cable converter and leave channel 3 for digital channel 8-1 or whatever. Just did it this evening with a new Sanyo LCD TV that came in for service with an audio problem.

Dennis

What do u use to combine ?

Any of the channel 3 combiners available. The Tru-Spec SC-3 is an example. To emulate what our customers have in their homes, I used a splitter connected to our antenna to split the signal into two path's. One of them goes to the "ANT" input to the combiner directly. The other one goes to a "digital to analog converter unit" and the output of that goes to the channel 3 input of the combiner. As a result, I have an analog 3 and digital signals combined into one line. Then when you go into the menu of the tv, you have several choices to scan for active channels. There is "cable (which is the analog for the output of a cable box)", "tv (which is antenna" and "auto-select" which allows the set decide. The last one is what we select and the set then automatically picks up digital and analog. Now if you have an active channel 3 digital, this won't work, but in our area that's not an issue. Work's great!