View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Anybody here install dashboard cameras?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:30 pm 

If so what are the best brands, trying to expand my business this year!
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Anybody here install dashboard cameras?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:45 pm 

I know some people here have experience with them, but you might be best off at one of the dashcam forums.

Here's the big one -http://dashcamtalk.com/

If you google dashboard cam forum, you'll see others.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:56 am 

I think I PMED one of you by mistake... lol

I meant to put it here:

As you'll see from that forum ( Where I'm a member ) the best value is the G1WH... At $41 shipped
I have one in My Wifes car, Mine and I bought my father one after he expressed interest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:17 pm 

I personally use the Mini 0801, not too expensive, 1080P, great video quality and small enough to fit behind even fat mirrors on some of my cars. I also use the WS300, a little larger, but has WDR which is nice and less expensive than the Mini 0801 and fits better behind the mirror in some cars. To me, the important thing is fit because if I have to have something large that's obvious, I'm not going to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:02 am 

I use the taotronics one on amazon. It retails at $127 but I got it on sale at about $91. Have used it for a few months happily but I've not put it through a summer yet, and no way in hell I'm taking it down from the windshield, so we'll see how the heat does.

In another vehicle for two years I've been using the $5 isymdvr app on my iPhone. It is a fantastic app and although it cannot run in the background (not the app's fault, but rather an iOS limitation) it is an excellent app. Although field of view is a bit tighter on the iPhone than a dedicated cam, this app blows all the entry level dash cams out of the water. Very nice user interface, fully customizable, exportable data easily accessed with gps integration and the iphone's excellent video camera.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:36 pm 

I personally use the BlackVue 1080P. It works good for what I need; not the cheapest, but the picture is HD and its WIFI so I can see it on my phone. Also, it is small enough that I can hide it behind my rear-view mirror.

They have newer models, but mine is the "Pittasoft BlackVue DR500GW-HD WiFi 1080P Dash Car Camera w/ GPS"

http://www.blackvue.com/en/main/main.asp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:39 pm 

Let me save you tons of search. BlackVue DR500GW-HD too expensive and IQ sucks at night. I owned it for a year. BlackVue DR600GW-HD is better at night but still too expensive because for 3x less you can get Mini. Personally, I would recommend Mini 0806, best bang for your buck. No WiFi, but IQ is better then BlackVue DR600GW-HD. Mini 0805 is also good choice, but lacks some features that Mini 0806 has. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:31 am 

Take a look at http://www.guardtrak.info/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:19 am 

klascctv wrote:
Let me save you tons of search. BlackVue DR500GW-HD too expensive and IQ sucks at night. I owned it for a year. BlackVue DR600GW-HD is better at night but still too expensive because for 3x less you can get Mini. Personally, I would recommend Mini 0806, best bang for your buck. No WiFi, but IQ is better then BlackVue DR600GW-HD. Mini 0805 is also good choice, but lacks some features that Mini 0806 has. Good luck.

Awful reviews for the Mini 0806 at newegg. problem is a lot of chinese knockoffs come in looking like the real thing.

Cobra Electronics is a US company and has started making dash cams and also Garmin has a couple. Neither are terribly cheap, but they are at least from companies that have been around for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:04 pm 

Yeah, knockoffs are a problem. Best bet is to follow the dashcam forums and go with the recommended vendors. It's a lot like buying from Aliexpress - you take your chances with the random vendors.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]