oderus1671

are 600 tvl bullet cameras for real?

hey everyone, Ive been reading a bit on cameras, and I need to purchase a fourth camera for my home. I have read that the "new" 600 TVL cameras are available, but some folks seem to think they are a "gimmick". so can the nice folks here at cctv forums set me straight? I found a supplier (not ebay!!!!!) that has them fairly cheap, but I am sceptical, as they are simply Sony CCD chip cameras. Shouldnt a 600 tvl camera be the newer SuperHad or the ExHads? I want to post a link to it, but I got scolded a tad in another post because they had Geo knock-off cards on their site. I can PM the link if its allowed here. So whatcha think?

I haven't had a chance to check out the super-res bullets, but they don't have to be HAD CCDs. HAD and Super HAD refer to low light sensitivity, not resolution.

Most high Res B/W cameras are 570-600TVL. All cameras start as BW then they add Chroma to it to produce color (not neccasarily the manufacturer), hence the resolution is lowered. Its the same as putting a filter in front of it, in this case it is more like a color filter.

Basically currently anything over 500TVL with color has been digitally enhanced (unless it has mutliple chips and they would say so - such as 1/2" 800TVL cameras but the cost is triplet the cost of a regular 1/3") to reach that supposed resolution. Are you talking about color cameras or B/W, and which brand to be specific (no OEMs). PM me the link and ill give you the run down on it.

Super Had etc, arent new also. ... and Sony has various versions of chips, from cheap to expensive. Need to know more before can comment on it.

Thanks

Rory

PS. Sorry about the previous post

thanks, I PMed a link to those who asked for it. dont worry rory, no hard feelings! guess I will learn the ropes of this forum as I lurk amongst you! BTW, what Im looking for is a camera that does well in low light as well as bright areas of the yard. The backyard where the camera will be is mostly sandy, a drawback of being near the beach, and has a tendency to reflect a LOT of bright sun. IR is not really needed, as I run my cameras during the day mostly.

Hi, checked it out,

• B&W 1/3" Sony CCD .02 Lux

• 600 Lines Resolution 290,000 Pixels

• 3.6 mm Fixed Board Lens Optional 4, 4.3, 6, 8, 12 or 16mm

• S/N Ratio More Than 50 dB

• AWB [Auto White Balance]

• BLC [Auto Back Light Compensation]

• 12 Volt DC 100 mA max (power supply sold seperately)

• Working Temp -10C~+50C

• Dimensions 23 x 100 mm

• Standard BNC Connector

• Includes mounting hardware.

600TVL is very common with BW cameras ... its normally either 570 or 600TVL .. kind of rare in a bullet but still common among board cameras.

Its got some good specs, though that 0.02 lux will be more like 0.2 lux or maybe 0.1 lux, as it doesnt have an Exview Chip, which would bring the price up considerably. Normal 400TVl and non exview are very very cheap from OEMs.

One thing though they wont tell you is the actual quality of handling light is not that good, thats the main drawback to the OEM BW Bullet cameras, they will perform great at night, but daytime is normally not that good at all - its okay but bright sunlight doesnt like it.

The lens options with this one are good.

Lets put it this way, its probably worth it for the price, and better than a 420TVL OEM BW Bullet camera .. if it was exview would give you the extra low lux of 0.02 lux though .. but I guess we cant have everything

For a home user it will be fine .. if you want the extra low lux check out an Exview BW camera ... even if it is not high res, would be better for night time.

Rory

wow, that was the fastest reply Ive ever had on a forum! thanks rory, so as I am a home user, you think 600 tvl is kinda overkill? I think the 420 tvl cams I have right now from that same site i sent the link to are working ok for me. I kinda wish i would have got the non-IR though, as I dont run them at night. Perhaps the savings on a non-IR cam could have got me a better chip. Guess I should have asked ya'll before buying them!

should be okay, you may want to just cut the power to the IR so you get less issues with cleaning and spiders, thats if they ever come on ..?

Best BW bullets I used were the 325's from Provideo, I also used their budget ones but they didnt match up, and ive used several BW OEMs including an Exview which I actually just installed one a couple weeks ago (and still sell to clients like myself). Course price was double for the 325's, like double the cost of the ones in the link you sent and were 420TVL. But they also have lasted 6 years in a night club LOL .. im actually installing some high res Vandal Domes tomorrow down there to replace them, simply as its lit up well and he is recording in 640x480 and he needs the extra resolutio, though it has done very well up till now. He's had the domes in the boxes since before the new year, just getting around to having me install them now ...

For my appartment, I would spend the extra $$ on a BW Camera with Exview, and stick with a 420TVL ... but thats me .. hey, extra resolution just means more time spent recording and shorter recording lengths . .. more clarity (of the pixelising as well) = larger image size ..

PS. its spring break now, i gotta go online with the club and check it out

by cutting the power to the IR, i assume you mean open the camera up and "manually cut the power lead to the IR"? Im not that brave as I am an idiot when it comes to electronics. last time i tried to fix my Dewalt drill charger, i ended up with a fireworks display in my kitchen !

Oh... and make sure you have lots of water nearby. Of course it won't help put out the "electrical fireworks" but it certainly could help add to the effect!

There are actually 600 tvl color cameras now with a Sony HQ1 chip. Personally haven't played with any but have sent a couple out for demos. I think I sent Monster one of the domes, no bullets yet so Rory scored 100 with the B/W.

They are actually 800TVL now ...

and thanks .. off to bed now .. away for 3 days tomorrow

You are nuts!!!! I am to old to stay up like that!!!! 800 tvl single ccd?? I have seen 3ccd at 850tvl all day long and even some nice mega pixels.

There are actually 600 tvl color cameras now with a Sony HQ1 chip. Personally haven't played with any but have sent a couple out for demos. I think I sent Monster one of the domes, no bullets yet so Rory scored 100 with the B/W.

you know, it wouldnt hurt my feelings if you sent me one, too!

thanks, im looking for something outdoor-ish, like a bullet camera. Without the IR is preferred, but am willing to research some if the prices are decent. I just hate to buy an option that will rarely get used.

we carry a 600TVL sony CCD bullet as well, wonder if it's the same model? i'd be curious to see the pricing - think you could PM over the link, oderus?

also, rory - still waiting on the link to those club cams!!

we carry a 600TVL sony CCD bullet as well, wonder if it's the same model? i'd be curious to see the pricing - think you could PM over the link, oderus?

also, rory - still waiting on the link to those club cams!!

uh, actually im the one looking for the inforamtion on 600 tvl cams, actually. In case you would like to send me some info from your site?