keefe007

Abnormal Program Termination

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 with Geovision 7.0.5 with a GV800v3 card. Whenever the program starts I get this error:

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\GV800\GV800.exe

abnormal program termination

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling many file. When I uninstall I also delete the GV800 folder, all geo* files on the system and all GV* files on the system.

Any suggestions?

Are you sure all files are deleted .. just like the errors I get when testing the Skins and not setting them up correctly .. though just copying the original ones in there will fix it, or deleting all the skin folders all together then reinstalling ..

Any other suggestion for correcting this problem? I have the exact same card and software setup and receive the same runtime error listed above. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing, and have even reformatted my drive and still get this error. I seem to get this error only overnight when the screensaver is activated or the monitor turns itself off.

I have tried this on both 2000 and XP so I'm not sure what to try next.

Thanks for any advice or help.

I have the same problem. gv800.exe error message. Were you able to fix yours? If so pls pass the news over. Thank you much. Theo.

Hi I am also getting the same problem. I have a GV800 card running on ver 8. Like you, I kept getting this run time problem. I have tried reinstallation many times and even make sure there is no "space" in the directory but still get same problem.

I've seen this happen in many Dell computers...........check your PC spec, make sure your chipset is compatible with Geo. There's is some confliction going on most likely in the hardware...could be software confliction too......

I'm running a GV-600 and v8.1. The program will run for days with no problem, but when the PC reboots for any reason, like when I get a Windows update, I get this error.geovision2.jpg

The only way to get around it is to uninstall all Geovision software, run a registry scrubber, then re-install. This gets everything working again, and I retain all previous settings. But next reboot and I have to do it all over again. Very frustrating.

I've sent this bug report to Geovision but have gotten no response. I will next be trying the new version 8.11 or maybe go back to 8.0.

disable automatic updates .. SP2 and XP tweaked (dont leave it as default XP setup) will work perfectly.

disable automatic updates .. SP2 and XP tweaked (dont leave it as default XP setup) will work perfectly.

Well, that doesn't really solve anything. I could just turn the PC off and then I wouldn't get the error either. I don't have automatic updates turned on anyway. Any time the PC has to reboot for whatever reason, the Geovision program gives a runtime error when it tries to restart. That means this software is buggy.

I dont know how the system is setup, so cant really say.

Anyway, is there anything else installed such as Anti Virus Software, Anti Spyware, etc, also any other hardware we should know about?

What are the PC specs, particularly the motherboard and chipset?

Also the video card model?

Rory

PC is a Dell Dimension 4550 with 2.4 Ghz P4 and 768 Mb RAM. The video card is an ATI Radeon 8500. No anti-virus software or anything else running. Not sure which chipset - I have to check. Could this be the problem with the Dells that someone mentioned earlier? What chipsets are incompatible?

I guess I could try installing the GV in a different PC but would prefer to keep using this one. Would it be worth trying an earlier version of the software?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

according to Dells website, its an 845PE Intel Chipset.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm#1101572

Although its an Intel chipset, which is suggested by Geo and others, its an older one. This may cause an issue.

What to do is goto Intel's site and download the latest Chipset drivers.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=757&DwnldID=8178&strOSs=44

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for the Radeon 8500.

Cant say this will fix it or not, it could still be corrupt Geo software, or even something to do with Windows XP. Could also be a hardware issue, like bad memory/hard drive; which leads to this question, do strange errors occur in any other software, or even just in Windows? Have you been able to test it in another PC yet?

Do you know what version Geo software came with the card, was it 8.1 or an older one?

The easiest thing to do is try it in another PC, so I'll do that next. I received both versions 8.02 and 8.1 with the card. I'm going to try the older version and maybe the newer 8.11 also.

Funny thing is, the program will run for days with no problems. Only when starting it up after a reboot. Which leads me to think it's a software problem, not hardware, otherwise it wouldn't run so good on the chipset and video card I have. One interesting thing I noted - the uninstall program leaves a lot of garbage in the registry, that needs to be cleaned out when re-installing before the program will work again. Very sloppy.

But thanks for you suggestions. I'll let you know how it works out.

Yep i use CCleaner to clean the registry .. see this post.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=54174#54174

Also the INI files are also left in the windows directory.

Their installer program is actually an outdated version, I wish they would update it. I mentioned that before when i was working with it for the automated install exe, which I dropped as too many errors. The VBscript version with simple Send Keys works though.

OK, I swapped the card into another PC and it seems to be working OK. This is an Abit motherboard and AMD 3100+ CPU. I tried version 8.0 and 8.12 in the Dell but was getting the same error, so I guess the Geovision doesn't like Dell PCs as was mentioned earlier.

you can also try and use the geovision database fix utility (i forget its actual name but you should see it in the geovision folder). I had this same problem with my gv1480 but mine was caused by a power outage while it was loading up. I used the database fix tool and it fixed the problem.

OK, I swapped the card into another PC and it seems to be working OK. This is an Abit motherboard and AMD 3100+ CPU. I tried version 8.0 and 8.12 in the Dell but was getting the same error, so I guess the Geovision doesn't like Dell PCs as was mentioned earlier.

Geovision thit puta fix in the 8.12 software because some Dell PC caused a bluescreen, this could also be the same error you have had trouble with, so maybe a upgrade to 8.12 would help.

Also another thing is that PC manufactures like Dell, Acer and others, they have made their own process in building PC's and also some have custom made BIOS from motherboard manufactures and so on, so sometimes you can have a lot of trouble from a very good office PC but for Video Surveillance it can be ****, but still a good PC.

JD

sorry to dig this one up but i'm having this issue now on a client's 8.2 system. rebuilding the db now going to see if that corrects the issue. does anyone else know any other solution?