bruno

connecting dvr to pc

I have a Panasonic WJ-HD500B. It has the network card installed. I also have my Dell PC with Windows XP Home. I believe I'm supposed to be able to access my DVR through the PC but the operating instructions are so vague, especially for a pc illiterate like me.

I connected the two through the Ethernet connection. Now what do I do?

I guess I was hoping it would be plug & play but obviously I have to do more. What do I need to do to make this work? I'm reading about network set-up, IP addresses, DHCP... I am clueless!

Thanks

Whoa nelly, loads to consider here, if I have time tonight over a beer or 6 I will send you a reply about it, I wreally should do a walkthrough easy to follow guide.. but firstly, are you using a hub or a router at all or have you just joined cable to the two inputs for netwroking on the PC and the DVR, also is it a standard cable or a cross over cable.. and if you think I am speaking gibberish then it might pay to wait until I do the help post.. I am waiting for larry to do sticky's then we can keep it up there for others to read.

DVR-Expert,

For now I am just playing with it and only have the DVR hooked directly to the PC with a Cat 5E Crossover Cable. I just want to see how it works with my one PC. I can't even figure this out!

Then I would like to make it work with all my PC's, and even be able to access the DVR from a remote location. I will soon be getting high speed internet access with a static IP address if I want it.

Do I?

Any ideas how to get started?

Thank you

I'll join you for that beer or 6.

Off to the reefrigerator!

If you want the DVR and other PCs to get online, then you have a couple choices:

A router - only need 1 Static IP from the ISP or none at all if you can remember the iP and if it doesnt change much.

Hub - If you get multiple Static IPs from the ISP ($$)

Router:

First depends on the router, using a NEW/Unconfigured linksys Router for an example:

Make sure the the DVR and the local Computers are connected to the router. Restart the computers, router, and Cable Modem if this is the first time. Always turn off the computers and router first, then as they are off, turn off the Cable/DSL modem, then restart the Modem, then the others.

Using default settings on a Linksys Router:

Depending on the amount of PCs I will imagine you only have 1 other one.

The router assigns by default up to 50,

IP is 192.168.1. and then your number, I generally use .10 for the DVR as they normally have alot less than 9 other computers on the network.

So pick an IP, lets say 192.168.1.10 (depends on the router and the amount of PCs). Go into the menu programming for the DVR. get into TCP/Network Settings.

IP - enter your internal Ip number (eg. 192.168.1.10)

Subnet Mask - (255.255.255.0 is default)

gateway - make it 192.168.1.1 (this is the routers starting IP address)

Exit the DVR menu programming.

Goto your Computer:

Open IE and type in:

http://192.168.1.1

user and pass = admin

Goto advanced tab at the top right, and forwarding.

In the Ext. Port, enter the IP that the DVR uses, for example, Kalatel DVRs use Port 1024, HiSharp uses Port 80. The Pano manual should have that info.

Enter it on both sides, eg. "1024 TO 1024"

Tick the Protocal TCP box, leave the UDP Box un Ticked

Where it says IP Address, enter the Internal IP you entered into the DVR, eg. 192.168.1.10, then tick the ENABLE box.

Click Apply.

Restart the Cable/DSL Modem, DVR, and the Router.

Using the software that comes with the DVR, enter the assigned IP you entered into the DVR (eg. 192.168.1.10) and you are good to go. You can also enter your ISP's assigned IP address locally and it will also work.

Static IP from your ISP is better as it never changes, but you can also just check your ISP Ip address every so often or as it changes, and change it accordingly in your REMOTE PCs that connect over the internet. If you have a laptop for example, that you use at home to connect to the DVR, but also carry it to work, just use your ISP IP Address, not the Internal IP.

When you goto IE and type in http://192.168.1.1, and the user/pass, it will show you your ISP IP address right there under "Specify WAN IP Address", or click on "Status". You will need to do this if you are not using a static IP.

If you are using a Static IP from your ISP, then on the first page, is where you enter the info the ISP gives you, eg. IP, Subnett Mask, Gateway, and DNS names. you will not need to change any info in the DVR, that is internal and is different from your ISP's info.

Rory

Um a hub is something you should never connect to the internet. Basicly all a hub does is turn normal CAT5 into crossover cable. It's useful if you have something else to do network traffic control, but it will lack a firewall. If you have multiple static IPs then you're better off moving up to the next grade of router like the low end Cisco systems.

Rory,

My DVR has an assigned IP address, gateway# and sub... I have the option to change it or leave it. You mentioned settiing up with certain IP numbers or should I leave the ones assigned? What is preferred? I spoke to the high speed internet company and they told me they usually give dynamic IP's but if I wanted they would give me a static.

The Broadband service I will be receiving is not dsl, cable, ar sat., It is a wireless high-speed broadband.

I will be installing a router because I would like to have access to this high speed from five different computers through-out the home. I allready ran Cat 5 to every room in the house (this is a home under construction and the walls are stll open, so I can do whatever I need).

Thomas and others,

What specific router do you recommend I buy for my situation. I don't mind spending the money on quality equipment. I was told I can get a static IP but I dont think they offer multiple static IPs.

Sorry I'm such an illiterate. I appreciate all your help.

For a single static IP address I would go with something in the home grade routers. Linksys or D-Link both make fine routers for a decent price. I wouldn't pay for a static IP address, there are a few services that can help with that for free.

Here you have to pay for a static Ip address account, to get at least 384 upload. As for NO-IP.com those things dont work with a stand alone DVR normally?

I believe the provider is offering me the static IP at no additional charge.

Another question:

Most of my computers I will be networking together through this router are spread through-out the home where I have Cat 5 installed.

One of my computers is in a seperate studio about 180'-200' away from the router. I have a coduit barried in the ground. What would the ideal wire be for running this far? Is Cat 5 OK, or should I use something else? Cost is not a problem.

Thanks

Odd, here they are extra, but not so much where I live. Normally you can't use no-ip.com with a stand alone. However, some routers like D-Link have support for it built into the router. Also, any of the other PC's on the network can be running it, they just need to share the same external IP address.

We use a free site http://www.no-ip.com to assign names to our systems that have dynamic IP addressed.

We have been using it now for over a year & have had no problems, it also lets your customer give the site a name that is easy to remember such as Anytown-cargarage.no-ip.com

Saves rental on static IPs

We use a free site http://www.no-ip.com to assign names to our systems that have dynamic IP addressed.

We have been using it now for over a year & have had no problems, it also lets your customer give the site a name that is easy to remember such as Anytown-cargarage.no-ip.com

Saves rental on static IPs

Only good for PC DVRs though, not stand alone DVRs like the Panasonic Mentioned here.

Rory, what port does the EDSR900 (Everfocus) use? 80? I'm trying to run a WEB Server on 80 and the EDSR900 off the router at the same time. I can view/run locally but when I attempt va the internet I get the server ok but the DVR is not reachable?

I know, for me, but for others id rather they get a static, as without the static it is only 124 upload speed, slow....

The DVR EDSR900F uses not only Port 80, you will need to open and forward in your server Ports 1111, 2222, 3333, 4444, 5555 and 6666. With version 1.9 you can change these default ports.

Go ahead! And tell us if it have worked!

mpperes@cctvguide.net

Rory, what port does the EDSR900 (Everfocus) use? 80? I'm trying to run a WEB Server on 80 and the EDSR900 off the router at the same time. I can view/run locally but when I attempt va the internet I get the server ok but the DVR is not reachable?