jpatz18

rg59u twist on bnc problem

so i ran a new 50 foot cable had twist on bnc and now it wont show video, is the some special way you have to cut the stuff? mine looks exaclty like my old one.... Please help...

You have to cut the cable so that the solid copper core conductor is inserted into the center of the BNC Connector. Trim back some of the insulation around the center conductor to expose the solid conductor center core. Be certain that none of the copper braided wire is making contact with the solid copper core.

I've gotten to the point where I'll put a 2k resistor accross the center pin and outer clamp part of the BNC on one end, and meter the other end to be sure I got a good solid linkup.

Never had a problem, but the ranger's solution sounds good.

Make sure you didn't twist it too much so it broke, also make sure the center did not push the connector's pin forward, make sure it is either level of even a little lower in as it should be, and that it is easy to go on and off of the BNC female connection. Be certain there is some braid for ground, and also that the braid is not touching the center.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ease of the twist on, and when done properly, they will perform well.

But when I'm making 30 jumpers for the head end, and my buddy is putting the twist-ons on while I wire everything... better to have him check his work, than me try to unplug one wire at a time after they are all connected to troubleshoot the "no video".

thanks got it the copper was touching thanks!

Been there seen that...

I like the little stripper I use but it seems like more often then not I too have one or two strands of shield that gets wrapped around the center conductor. It's funny because other then that it makes a very clean cut.

thanks got it the copper was touching thanks!

Been there seen that...

I like the little stripper I use but it seems like more often then not I too have one or two strands of shield that gets wrapped around the center conductor. It's funny because other then that it makes a very clean cut.

The one that catches me out a lot is when there is a tiny sliver of insulation left on the center conductor... Always gotta check that.

What do you guy's recommend for rg-59 connectors (supplier/brand/type)? We have some 2 piece crimp on ends and the connections are really crappy. On some of the ends if you wiggle the wire the video cuts out. I have checked and rechecked the shielding, ground and solid copper wire and see no problems. I am fairly certain the connectors my friend gave me are probably some cheap pieces of garbage.

I use the Cable Pro compression system. The connectors are pretty good, but a little pricey. The compression connectors are the way to go in my opinion.

I would suggest talking with your local supplier and see what they stock. I picked cable pro because it is a quality tool that I can find connectors for locally, yet buy on-line if my supplier decides to not carry the brand anymore.

You can find this tool rebranded by other companies like Ideal.

t-1388-1216.jpeg

I have had that problem before.

I was working on a job, and I kept loosing video on different cameras. The video would come back on by itself. I went out to the cameras with a monitor, and the cameras would work fine. I went to the DVR, and I would get good video. I was having a real hard time trouble shooting until I figured out that the BNC were bad. Eclipse sent me a replacement bag overnight! That was really nice of them!

I guess somewhere in the supply chain they substituted cheap versions, as they must have run out of the regular supply. It is possible that some "distributor" in the food chain may have ripped off other distributors by knowingly selling crap, and selling it at a premium product price. Could it have been one of those "China" situations similiar to the toy problems?

Solid copper core and RG59 all in the same sentence?

We have been having alot of problems with video loss of late.

Seemed to get worse as time went on. Until I got Mr Speaker Magnet out it was then I realised it an`t pure copper no more. We buy in about 10,000mtrs a month and have now gone over to a pure copper composite with much better results.

That's interesting!

Do they have some kind of "kit" where you "melt" down the copper, and find out ratio of copper to filler??

What does the jacket say?

CENTER CONDUCTORS TYPES

BC Bare Copper

TC Tinned Copper

STRD Stranded

SOL Solid

SPC Silver Plated Copper

CCA Copper Covered Aluminum

CCS Copper Covered Steel

CW Copperweld (Copper Covered Steel).

SCCS Silver Covered Copper Steel.

SHIELD TYPES

100%F+95 100% Aluminum Bonded Foil

+95% Tinned Copper Braid

COR-COP Corrugated Copper

95%+BC Minimum 95% Bare Copper

2/95%SC Two 95% Coverage Minimum

Silver Plated Copper

DIELECTRIC TYPES

SSPE Semi-Solid Polyethylene 84% V/P

CCFP Closed-Cell Foam Polyethylene 84% V/P

LDF Low-Density Foam Polyethylene 88% V/P

SPE Solid Polyethylene 66% V/P

FPE FoamPolyethylene 78% V/P

STFE Solid Teflon 69.4% V/P

V/P Velocity of Propagation

JACKET TYPES

IA Ultra-Viotlet Resistant PVC

IIA UVR-DB Non-Contaminating PVC Direct Burial

IIIA Ultra-Violet Resistant Polyethylene

FEP Teflon

TPE Thermo-Plastic Elastomer

BLK UVR Black Ultra-Violet Resistant

UVR-DB Ultra-Violet Resistant Direct Burial

that's interesting to know these codes with their explanation.

I had a look at 3 coax cables, unfortunatly I don't see any of these:

-cable1: the thinnest of the 3, came from a tube cam which use power through coax. All it says is: 'Coaxial Cable RG-58U'. RG58 is 50 Ohm, mounted in the factory on a CCTV camera, strange?

-cable2: 'CAVEL RG59 B/U MIL-C-17 75 Ohm', seems to have a solid metal core covered with copper, and also a full copper braid (also black outer).

-cable3: 'coaxial cable RG59U 75 Ohm' full copper solid core, metal foil & copper braid. (white).

When there are no markings at all (i.e. an old install) is there a way to find out what cable there is used? 50 - 75 Ohm RG58/59/6/11...