EagleEye

Demo system for walkthroughs

Ok guys i'm one of the few guys who does it all with the cctv business. I own the business, goto the appointments, take the tech calls, and installs them on my own. My question is what do you all take to the appointments as far as a demo.

I have been taking a 15" lcd monitor and a "modified 4channel avtech dvr" with a few diffent types of cameras to show what eatch one looks like and the different angles and such.

Just wondering if anyone knows where i can buy the complete setup in like a briefcase or a small bag. So i don't carry this bulky crap arround.

All of my installs are Stand Alone, i don't trust PC's for surveillance. Just bad experiences with them in the past. (people playing with them and just unhooking them). So i'd need a standalone setup..

Albert

This one is PC based, but it's cool and it's a kit like what you are looking for:

http://avigilon.com/products/rdk/

Those travel cases are available in all shapes and sizes. Why not just make your own? You could have a custom case for the specific equipment you want to carry.

Please post pictures of whatever you come up with!

I am really impressed with how you go about getting your customers!!

The way you are doing it is just perfect.

To the customer what they see is what they get!

I like the fact after you do an install you will not have a customer coming back to you complaining about what the video looks like, or how they wished for a different camera angle!

I do the exact same thing that you do. I use a 13" monitor as most times I am outside standing on a ladder allowing the customer to see what the camera looks like from the position they had in mind verses where I would suggest putting the camera.

I use a varifocal camera so that I can show wide angle to normal to telephoto shots.

One of the few things that I use is a suction cup mount. This is used rarely, but I use them at strip plazas for a quickie demo. I just lick, and stick to the front glass to show a parking lot image so that I can take them through the lens selection. People always seem to think that they can have one camera on wide angle, and they will also get facial recognition at the same time. This quick demo lets them see someone walking around the parking lot, and it lets them see how small a face can be at a distance.

Another device I use rarely is a DJ light tripod. I put the camera on the tripod, and then I send it up in the air to the 10 foot level. Now I am not on a ladder, and I am free to talk to the customer. I can also rotate the pole to get a different direction's view.

I do have a lens selector, but I do not use it. I do hand it to the customer, and I let them "play" with it, but that is about it for using it. For the cost of a lens selector I would tell someone starting out in the business to just buy a varifocal camera, and save the money on a lens selector.

I have a Swann wireless camera. I use this as everyone has a false sense that a wireless camera solves every problem. I do not know how this "myth" got started, but everyone in the budget category that walks in to our shop seems to want this kind of camera right off the bat!

I can show them that they do work if mounted correctly, and the "system" is designed correctly. I then show them the limitations, and the failures of these devices.

WHAT! I HAVE TO CHANGE A BATTERY EVERYDAY!!! FORGET THAT!

Wow! If I have to run a wire for power then I may as well run one for video too!!

What do you think?

that aviglon kit is easily 10k with it being megapixel cams -- has anyone used or seen their system/cameras? i am going to put them on my list to visit when out at isc west in april

i use a 15" lcd and small 4channel pc unit to do a demo with several dome cams but its rare i have to haul it out....i think if you take their input and give them good feeback when doing the initial walkthrough they dont need to see anything prior to install, unless you have a tricky lightening or shot where you need to do a pilot test which i have done as well to show the system/camera can achieve what they want

you can add me to that list of doing it all - its my business and i sell, install, troubleshoot, repair, train, etc

that aviglon kit is easily 10k with it being megapixel cams -- has anyone used or seen their system/cameras? i am going to put them on my list to visit when out at isc west in april

Very cool stuff. Did you see the demo video?

I have an install in Vegas scheduled for the end of March. I'm trying hard to push it back a week or two and catch the show too. The last ISC West I made it to was '04 or '05.

EagleEye, The exhibitors at these trade shows are masters of portable demo's. I bet you could find a few options...

One reason I uploaded a few videos to Youtube.com . I constantly get asked what the cameras look like during the day and also at night. I do show them the actual camera/dvr setup during the "sales pitch".

if they want to view cameras i bring them to one of my current clients and it pretty much closes the deal - i have one client that has a nice big 42" lcd panel that they use to view all the cameras and they show them the pelco spectra ivs with the joystick moving and zooming and they pretty much are ready to sign a check right there -- nothign better than a good reference client that has a cool setup

Here are another couple options, they will be based on geoVision but you can use them for other brands also:

1-Portable EZViewLog

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9761

Ok you wont be viewing live video, but it gives them an idea of the most important part of a Surveillance system, the recording.

2-Virtual PC

Create a Virtual PC with the EZView Log setup already, you can then stick than on your laptop or even create an ISO to burn to CD to give to Clients. Lots of options there.

3-GUI Demo

Actually considered making this myself, not difficult either will just require some time. Basic EXE that mimics the main DVR's GUI. Slap in some AVI Files or even use a webcam for a single camera view on your laptop.