AVCONSULTING

Dynamic IP Capable

Still don't understand what a public ip is, and how it works, and how it would link up to your dynamic ip at the location? Will the router notify the isp of the new address and link it up to the public ip address. Would you have to type in a specific port number in the dvr also? Why would the isp give you a public ip address? What prevents you not to connect to another zillion other places if the ip address is "public"?

Really trying to understand the concept. Would be great to get that to work!!

Thanks,

Fredrik

Still don't understand what a public ip is, and how it works, and how it would link up to your dynamic ip at the location? Will the router notify the isp of the new address and link it up to the public ip address. Would you have to type in a specific port number in the dvr also? Why would the isp give you a public ip address? What prevents you not to connect to another zillion other places if the ip address is "public"?

Thanks,

Fredrik

A public address is maintained by SBC for users of game, ICO and other software that require a static address. Which means they allow a user to specify this address for their applications. We benefit by having a pubic (ACCESSABLE FROM THE INTERNET VIA THEIR DNS SERVERS) to point to our DVR's.

Here's how it works. Yes, SBC allows public IP addresses. Although, they never publish the fact. The IP address of your specific modem is in the managment software for the modem. It only changes when and if the modem is re-booted. Otherwise, it renews (on the same address), if you've got a stable connection, there is no need to re-boot.

2wire (SBC home networking) has a built-in router that allows port forwarding from a stable public IP address.

I think you are reading too much into your understanding of dynamic IP addresses. Each connection to SBC has an IP address. They will and do allow these addresses to remain under certain conditions.

Please find the managment software to determine your modem connection IP address and other components.

Once you've done that. I need to know what DVR your are using and basic cofig parameters for your router and it will work.

Thanks,

Thanks,

Fredrik

A public address is maintained by SBC for users of game, ICO and other software that require a static address. Which means they allow a user to specify this address for their applications. We benefit by having a pubic (ACCESSABLE FROM THE INTERNET VIA THEIR DNS SERVERS) to point to our DVR's.

Here's how it works. Yes, SBC allows public IP addresses. Although, they never publish the fact. The IP address of your specific modem is in the managment software for the modem. It only changes when and if the modem is re-booted. Otherwise, it renews (on the same address), if you've got a stable connection, there is no need to re-boot.

2wire (SBC home networking) has a built-in router that allows port forwarding from a stable public IP address.

I think you are reading too much into your understanding of dynamic IP addresses. Each connection to SBC has an IP address. They will and do allow these addresses to remain under certain conditions.

Please find the managment software to determine your modem connection IP address and other components.

Once you've done that. I need to know what DVR your are using and basic cofig parameters for your router and it will work.

Thanks,

Managment software? Would that be something that was on the installation cd when you det the modem, or is that something ou can access through a web browser. Using speed stream 5100 with a di-604 router. I know how to set up the portforwarding in the router.

Thanks,

Fredrik

FredB:

I'm not sure where it is but one of my clients was able to find it on his XP machine last week. Within 15 minutes I had his Speco online.

Scan your program directories an look in anything related to SBC or Speedstream. This could also, be under diagnostic or admin tools.

Yeah, but that Public IP address still changes unless you obtain a Static IP from the ISP... or am I missing something in this thread ..?

I can access my non static IP on my computer, from anywhere, until the ISP changes it, which happens every so often.

From what I could gather from Noip.com, you need to install their software for it to monitor the PC. You cannot do this with a stand alone DVR. So how else will it work? Forget the Cable mOdem etc, lets talk routers.

Yeah, but that Public IP address still changes unless you obtain a Static IP from the ISP... or am I missing something in this thread ..?

I can access my non static IP on my computer, from anywhere, until the ISP changes it, which happens every so often.

Except that SBC (US) and several others will allow a public IP address setting in their modems. I'm not sure if they dedicate the addresses when users have this setting an then map them via DNS to the assigned address or what.

All I know is that I have set up a dozen or so DVR's and several web servers on the SBC network and the IP address have not changed once the setting was done at the modem. This has been done with 2wire & speedstream modems with no public address changes in over 1 year.

Not all ISP are like this, but SBC is one of them and I have proof that it works.

Except that SBC (US) and several others will allow a public IP address setting in their modems. I'm not sure if they dedicate the addresses when users have this setting an then map them via DNS to the assigned address or what.

All I know is that I have set up a dozen or so DVR's and several web servers on the SBC network and the IP address have not changed once the setting was done at the modem. This has been done with 2wire & speedstream modems with no public address changes in over 1 year.

Not all ISP are like this, but SBC is one of them and I have proof that it works.

They still work even if you dissconnect the router and modem and them plug them in again? Still looking for the manegment tools for the speed streeam 5100

So basically it is a Dynamic IP address which doesnt change often?

Mine hasnt changed in a bout 4 months even If I try to change it, but I also cant change PCs has to be the same PC, but others I know, theirs change every week or so.

Could be the modem though, as they have so many different Cable Modems out there now, they seem to sell different ones to clients every few months. We cant use our own, we have to buy the modem from the ISP, its just their policy, its called a monopoly as they are the only Cable company here. DSL is not an option for remote video here, ADSL costs around $490 a month for 384 upload speed, more if you want faster .. yep, its called 3rd world. Both our broadband ISPs (Cable and then the Telephone Company) are monopolies here, there are no laws for them.

Rory

FredB & Rory:

Fredb: Using speedstream, if you disconnect the modem & router it will reset the IP lease and probably change the public IP address. Have not tested speedstream with unplud and multiple reboots. If client has to do this often, have them switch to home networking with built-in router allowing web servers, costs about $30.00 more per month.

Using 2wire (Home networking, which allows web servers) the public IP address stays the same, tested and works.

Rory, you would be right under conditions that you have stated. However, there are server broadband networks here that allow DSL/Cable access to have their own servers. These providers know that a dedecated IP address is require and let subscribers maintain them if they know how to do it. That does not mean that they advertise it or have any documentation on it.

It does mean that they do allow it. That's all I can say. It's diffenet with every ISP.

FredB & Rory:

Fredb: Using speedstream, if you disconnect the modem & router it will reset the IP lease and probably change the public IP address. Have not tested speedstream with unplud and multiple reboots. If client has to do this often, have them switch to home networking with built-in router allowing web servers, costs about $30.00 more per month.

Using 2wire (Home networking, which allows web servers) the public IP address stays the same, tested and works.

Rory, you would be right under conditions that you have stated. However, there are server broadband networks here that allow DSL/Cable access to have their own servers. These providers know that a dedecated IP address is require and let subscribers maintain them if they know how to do it. That does not mean that they advertise it or have any documentation on it.

It does mean that they do allow it. That's all I can say. It's diffenet with every ISP.

I kind of thought that the point was that even if the customer dissconnects the router/modem and reconnects them, he should be able to view his cameras through the dvr viewer without changing the software ip settings. I though that the isp would update the redirect to the dvr/ip. You can get a static dsl subscription for $15 more, and that is what i am trying to avoid for the chepo customers.

Is that not the case or...

Yep, Re: Cable here, for a home user here, we have to get the fast account to get a static IP but then also have to pay an extra $20 a month for the IP, which is $70 a month, plus $20 a month, 1700+ download speed, 384 upload.

the normal account which is $34 a month, is 384 download, 128 upload, for home users.

Business uers have to pay $150 a month either way, for TV and Cable, and get a Static IP automatically whether they use it or not, its 384 upload, not sure of the download, maybe the same. The next speed up is $250 a month, $350 a month and so on ..

DSL costs even more and is slower ..$490 a month for the first ADSL account.

Just trying to provide a work-around here for cheap customers.

Usually the only people accessing the DVR are cusomers who don't mind switching IP addresss using speedstream. Haven't had that problem with 2Wire.

I've done it and it works. I explain to them that if they never want to worry about changing the access IP then they need a static IP address. My experiance is that SBC charges about $70.00 per month for static. If the cost is only $15.00 month then tell the client to get it! At that price we're wasting time here.

At this point I have no more input on this thread.

Usually the only people accessing the DVR are cusomers who don't mind switching IP addresss using speedstream. Haven't had that problem with 2Wire.

I've done it and it works. I explain to them that if they never want to worry about changing the access IP then they need a static IP address. My experiance is that SBC charges about $70.00 per month for static. If the cost is only $15.00 month then tell the client to get it! At that price we're wasting time here.

Yep, at only $15 a month extra with no account upgrades, that would be the way to go. someone said some routers have NO IP software installed on them though, anyone else know about this?

Sorry Chris,

Really appriciate your help and input. Guess I was just hoping for the "ultimate dynamic dsl" solution.

The thing is that most of these customers don't have a computer at the location, so they can't go online to figure out their new ip if it changes. I can get their new ip from a dynamic dns server, and since we always put in a router it shoulden't really change unless they unplug it. Woulden't that be kind of the same thing? Just trying to see what the difference would be.

Thanks,

Fredrik

someone said some routers have NO IP software installed on them though, anyone else know about this?

Some routers have a codec that will notify the dynamic dns if the router changes. go to www.dyndns.org or no-ip.com and check out the router help section for compatible models.

FredB:

Instead of quoting these customers SBC $29,95, quote them SBC home networking $59.95. It will work if they are not rebooting Speedstream modem all the time.

2Wire (SBC Home Networking) does not change the public IP address upon reboot. It allows web servers (Stand Alone IP DVR's) and port routing to a secure non-browser port 80 access. It is a modem, wireless hub and router in one box.

No problem.

I think what I will do is always set up the cheap systems with a router. In that way the IP should not change unless you unplug the modem. Then just configure the router to notify www.dyndns.org if it changes. I have an account with them which i think was $13 for a lifetime. Pretty cheap.

Incase the IP changes I can just go in to dyndns and get the new ip address and give it to the customer. I don't have a zillion systems with a dynamic address out there so, if I get a call every 3-4 months it's not a big deal. I usally check my systems online on a regular basis anyway so...

The higher end accounts like the pre schools we setup with static IP's anyway.

Don'r want to make it to complicated so...

March Networks has DHCP built in natively without need for additional services such as no ip. It can be either via the Internet or internal corporate network.

DHCP isn't a no-ip.com service. All it means is the system can be assigned an IP address from a server rather then having one hard coded.

Alen, have you had a chance to view the latest DVRs from Digital Logic? This company have been around for over 4 years. We bought quite of few of their DVRs in the past, some were windows based and some were based on linux. We recently bough over 20 of their 16 channel DVRs (linux based) becuase of the DVR's capability to automatically operate with any changes on IP settings (dyamics IP capable). After installing all these units, it became obvious that it does work very well... There is only one problem - when the IP address does change, then the user must register the new IP address in order to have access to the DVR...

If you need additional information, I can put you in touch with them directly. They are located in Torrance in Southern California...

Levon

One last thing to note is that no-ip.com has a pretty open API for using intergrating thier service into software you write.

One last thing to note is that no-ip.com has a pretty open API for using intergrating thier service into software you write.

It would be just as easy to write your own though, its very simple what they are doing

Yep, it's a packet with the account name and host it goes to. Then they read the header to see where the packet is from.