Geo 8.2 Problems or opinions

I installed it, other than the menu being an issue (when you click a sub menu it can temporarily bothersome as it overlaps another menu item), I dont see much of a difference.

They have PAP and PIP, but as mentioned is pretty much useless for anything other than a MegaPixel camera.

Noise reduction (cant remember the actual name) didn't do much but make the image worse quality (blur).

The Driver installer program has an annoying fade in and out, like Vista.

Didnt notice any speed up or slow down in switching between Live and Viewlog.

Need more time with it, will be testing more tonight and tomorrow.

Fixed my problem ...... Just used Rory's Simplevue, worked out the Box so to speak

Thanks Rory

Regards

Fixed my problem ...... Just used Rory's Simplevue, worked out the Box so to speak

Thanks Rory

Regards

Cool

In case anyone missed it (I did)

The hybrid system only supports 8 IP cams.

It is therefore not possible to have for example 14 IP cams and 2 analoge

cams.

I just did an Install on a couple of a customers machines and everything seemed to go well. As far as getting the Remote software there are a few way to do that if you look in the installation directory i believe the name of the folder is WEBTEMP and the subfolder would be "Cab" but you can also just type in the IP address of the newly updated DVR and it will download the new software. I am using Vista Ultimate and have 8.12 already installed and it installed 8.2 as another program and not an update.

The PAP and PIP would be great with a Megapixel IP camera. I have seen the Demo's and it looks like it would work great will have to test it when I get a Megapixel camera in next week. I will let you know.

Still trying to play with the Panoramic I have not figured out where to set that up yet. but I have not been playing with it too much been too busy.

The Remote software is Great with the Ability to save multiple Host's in a group and to record to the Local drive is Excactly what the Customer i already upgraded wanted. He has 6 Car lots and he like the Remote software rather than the Control center. A little more user friendly for him I guess.

cams.

Are you sure ? I have this dongle part list from Geovision:

55-NG004-000 GV-NVR (GV) 4

55-NG008-000 GV-NVR (GV) 8

55-NG012-000 GV-NVR (GV) 12

55-NG016-000 GV-NVR (GV) 16

55-NR001-000 GV-NVR 1

55-NR002-000 GV-NVR 2

55-NR004-000 GV-NVR 4

55-NR006-000 GV-NVR 6

55-NR008-000 GV-NVR 8

55-NR010-000 GV-NVR 10

55-NR012-000 GV-NVR 12

55-NR016-000 GV-NVR 16

cams.

Are you sure ? I have this dongle part list from Geovision:

55-NG004-000 GV-NVR (GV) 4

55-NG008-000 GV-NVR (GV) 8

55-NG012-000 GV-NVR (GV) 12

55-NG016-000 GV-NVR (GV) 16

55-NR001-000 GV-NVR 1

55-NR002-000 GV-NVR 2

55-NR004-000 GV-NVR 4

55-NR006-000 GV-NVR 6

55-NR008-000 GV-NVR 8

55-NR010-000 GV-NVR 10

55-NR012-000 GV-NVR 12

55-NR016-000 GV-NVR 16

Yep, I'm sure. You can setup a 16 cam full IP system but when setting

up a hybrid, 8 IP cams are maximum. Checked with Geo.

It sucks.

You can lock the DVR with desktop but not that difficult to break.

So someone could delete recorded files.

With backup server you can instantly backup, but it recycle's.

So you will lose the files that are deleted after a while (even with a large disk).

Would be nice to have an option to never recycle deleted files on the backup server and have an alert mechanisme in place if files are deleted.

Protecting the recorded files is key but not really well implemented at the moment.

Any idea's ......

Secureconcepts:

You can lock the DVR with desktop but not that difficult to break.

So someone could delete recorded files.

Do you mean the GeoVision Keylock utility?

How long do you wish to keep video files for?

yes I mean the Geovison Keylock.

The amount of time I want to keep the files is not that important (depends on the disk size).

But lets say it's a week and some event took place in that week and someone did delete the files.

You would not see anything and also would not know it took place (files are gone !). Even if you know something happenend you have to search all the files around that period and the backup to find evidence.

You could easily conclude it was not on camera and not even check the backup.

Even if they are backuped instantly there is no mechanisme to tell you that files have been deleted in an incorrect manner.

Could you PM me the details of how you can get around the Keylock, if this is the case, then it should be brought to GeoVision's attention.

If people have the correct permissions set up on their user accounts, then you shouldn't have any issues with people deleting files. (If Keylock is on, and they cannot access Windows Explorer)

All our systems are left running Keylock, so as far as I am aware, the user's cannot gain access to Windows to delete them through Explorer.

They can only delete them through the Viewlog then. All events deleted through the Viewlog are logged.

ok, rory was faster then I was ... and still other options possible, but you do need access to the system. If you can get it to restart without access then start windows in save mode ....

Yeah and there are other ways.

Only way to really be secure is to make sure only certain people have physical access to the computer.

Can the average user bypass it .. probably not.

Agreed average users probably not, but simple things as a power failure with auto-boot setup will allow user to get into save-mode.

Even with a UPS it will restart after a while and Geovison does not detect it's on UPS power.

In high level security environments this could be an issue because it does not detect unauthorized changes on file-level.

Wonder if Geo could use True Crypt .. would be nice .. dont know about the speed though .. but you can create True Crypt volumes and format them as NTFS .. then when you reboot unless the user is logged into Geo, or if they yuck the hard drive out and try it in another computer .. they wont have access at all to the video no matter what they do .. without ofcourse the True Crypt login and a way to mount the volumes. Ofcourse a Windows user can also make their folders private .. but that doesnt effect the video files which are typically on another drive. I use true crypt in a program I wrote .. great free tool.

Even in Safe Mode you need to have access to the Token file, which is password protected.

With regards to having access to the system, and unplugging power etc. this is true for all DVRs. You cannot forget about physical security when dealing with a DVR system.

The systems we build are designed to always be powered on, set in the BIOS. If the power fails, and there is a UPS, the UPS battery will be used. As soon as power returns, then the unit will power back on (If the battery did not last through the disruption of power).

With Keylock used, and a reasonable level of physical security on a system (e.g. a locked room) then the system is secured.

Very simple solution, offer your customers the service of the vsm, then it will alert them if the DVR is off, someone has tampered with it, recording stopped, rebooted, etc..

VSM is very usefull.

But they can still delete files ....! (VSM will detect it, but files are gone ....).

I am trying to figure out what a user can do without fysical access to the system, I know they can get into save mode, witch is risky (have not tested all the options yet!).

With fysical access it's very simple (and a not recommended setup).

Ya, truthfully, with Physical Access, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. Heck they could just short some wires and kill the hard drive, or put in a boot disk and then format the drives. Hiding the DVR system and only using remote access can help this.

Couple of issues:

- when in test mode and you have idle-protection set. he moment idle protection start the monitoring the system crashes (full restart).

Not a big thing since you are in test mode, but don't believe it's designed to crash !

- The fine tune buttons are available for 1 second (test mode) making it virtually impossible to fine-tune the pan/tilt.

- When the system restarts and you have tracking/zooming enabled it will NOT go back to these settings. You have to enable the dome again for tracking. Go to setup and enable zoom (default is tracking) and then start the feature.

Any idea how this could be done ? (normally it never restarts but if it does you lose these settings).

one other issue showed up (tracking / zooming):

- the system zoom's in on objects that are detected outside the detection region. If the object is outside the detection region and it touches the detection region just a bit (1% is enough) than it zoom's in on it.

The object should be fully in the detection region before zooming in.

tracking and zooming again.

I am probably the only one using this feature ....

When in zomm mode, it zoom's in on the object and stays zoomed in it does not direct the dome back to the initial screen after the set time.