robca

Gate intercom with security camera and phone integration

Hopefully some of the smart folks here will have good pointers as usual

I'm planning to install an intercom system for a pedestrian gate (single house), connected to the phone system (something like the Doorbell Fon system), and a camera to see who's at the gate. I know that I can buy an integrated video intercom, but that usually doesn't integrate with the phones in the house, and can show video only from one monitor.

I already have a CCTV system installed, and can display the video from a camera on any TV. I'm looking for suggestions on either a video intercom system that integrates with the phones and can output video, or a weather-resistant camera (ideally with illumination) that can be inserted in a Jbox above the intercom speaker/button, and look like one of those nice, integrated unit found on multi-housing installations

Any help is appreciated, Rob

[/img]

Channel vision has cameras for their door entry systems (phone systems are discontinued I think but the cams/plates are still availible) that mount to gang box as well viking, but why not use the Doorbell Fon system and then just add a mini bullet near the entry? A cam isolated from the door box gives you more advantages for optimized view. Ive been using the Doorbell Fon products for years for res. entry gate builds and they are very reliable as well the door strike applications work well for gates. I buy the larger brass face plates with the soft touch button and rip the guts out and put them in blank stainless entry boxes with speaker holes and drill for the button replacement, put them on goosenecks with additional keyed access and add a Knox box. The Doorbell Fon also works with cable telephone service as well. Doesnt just seize the line gives you a call waiting/warning if the phone is in use. Never had a call back or problem from a install using their product. I just did a upgrade for a client using the DP-28T so he can operate his gate from office with his cell phone. The money you save (retail prices arent bad) you could use for a high quality camera at your entry and since you already have modulated to TVs with your exsisting system just add another channel dedicated to entry 24/7.

Thanks for the suggestion to use the brass innards to build my own box, I might be able to combine it with a cameras as well. And thanks for the "reliability report" on the Doorbell Fon, good to know it's been working well for you. I'm assuming you are adding the optional electric strike controller (DP-28SW) to drive the strike

In general, I agree with you that a separate bullet camera would provide more flexibility and higher quality. The reason why I was thinking of having an integrated camera/speaker unit, is because it's a "well understood user interface", so tho speak, especially those units with lights coming up on the sides of the camera: the visitor pushes a button, lights come on, and they speak into the unit, with their face toward the camera. Given that my gate is on the side of a wall, I'd be forced to put the camera not in line with the speaker, and the risk is that the visitor will face away from the camera.

I also looked at the Channel Vision units, but they seem much more expensive for the same functionality. Any experience with Channel Vision?

Hello robca, Ive used channel vision modulators and filters but mostly use Pico Macom for broadband work havent used Channel- Vision tele systems, there are a lot of entry solutions on the market some are geared to multi-dwelling apts etc. "pro rated" AAS, Dorene, Osco, Aiphone and Linear Ive used some of them but prefer to fab my own video entry for single residental gate builds, some with Mini PTZ - zoom to gate box on motion or dedicated bell button, most clients just want simplicity. Also the all in one solution has its drawbacks often the video is highly dependent on the systems integrity...if the cam fails you often have to replace the entire board however your thinking of integrating your own cam is a good idea if you have the time/skill. There are small outdoor rated board cams you could install into a blanks look at Dorene and AGS they have a lot of boxes that you can use for custom work, some with keyed or keypad addons as well speaker/enclosures some blank. Stay away from the plastic type products the stainless, brass or powder coated finish steel housings are the best for outdoor. Overall cost for a application such as yours I would stick with the Doorbell Fon and yes the optional electric strike controller works very well with most openers and you can also add their DP28SW outbound trigger to activate lights, cams etc when the bell button is energized. Overall simple and cost effective for a single res user. For cams...If its critical facial recon that you want look towards the Extreme DACOR or FR series (pricey) or WZ (wizkid series) the WZ8L is a total package complete with electrical box and night vision. You have a lot of options for small discrete cams (board/mini bullets) several on the maket really... depends on the spec you want.

First of all, thanks for all the pointers on my gate video intercom question, incredible level of details.

I will go the route of building my own box (probably I'll end up with a box inside the gate wall, with just a flush panel covering it). I'm pretty good at building stuff, and have all the necessary tools to make a flush panel with speaker holes, button and a plexiglass window for the camera. I'll also find a way to integrate a light (or IR illuminator), and use the DP28SW to turn the light on.

I don't think I want to go with a relatively high-end camera like the ones you suggest, so the choice is between a bullet camera with a wide-angle lens, or a board/pinhole camera. And it would be easier to fit a board camera than a bullet. Do you have any suggestions for a board camera with a wide angle lens, with decent low-light performance? Ideally color (I know I can get much better low light with B/W, but I still prefer color images)

Thanks again, Rob

Rob, Ive used the V-1204A from Marshall Electronics for builds http://www.mars-cam.com/optical.html If you want to use color they have some as well. KT&C http://www.ktncusa.com/ also have some board cams, there are a lot of board cams some encased, various specs. Ive never used a D/N one, although I think Ganz http://www.cbcamerica.com/cctvprod/ganz/cams/Board/brdindex.html has one....your cam choice really will depend on the avalible lighting as well the size of your enclosure, if you decide on the Dorbell Fon you may want to consider using a balun since you will be pulling cat to the door station anyway, I find its a good idea to pull a spare along with it, just in case later you want to future devices or need to service a failed connect. The Marshall gear Ive used has been fairly consistent, used some of their mini TFT & megapixel screens and the V-LCD4 setup monitor I use has held up very well. Good luck Regards

Rob, - side note- when you build the enclosure/box, flush mounted as you stated rember to form a drip edge on the top to prevent water egress, there will always be the possibilty of wind driven moisture but a drip edge will help to min the rain/snow accumulation. (Seattle: you guys get a lot of rain.)