kao

What to look for in a Geo POS compatible register

I have not yet set up a POS system with Geovision.

I have a customer (bar owner) that would like his register hooked up to his new Geo system.

The current register is a Royal Alpha 601sc. It does have a serial port, but I dont know if it will work for the Geo POS.

Does anyone know if that register will work with the Geo POS?

Can someone recommend a link or current model I can suggest to the customer if the above one doesnt work?

One other note - the cash register will be a fair distance from the Geo system...so I am leaning toward the ethernet version of of the POS box. Any words of wisdom concerning the ethernet version?

Have you verified the printing mode with HyperTerminal? I can email you instructions if you'd like.

You can simply test it.....put your demo dvr next to the register and run from 485 converter in the back of the DVR to the Serial on the output of the POS or to be sure the pirnter...you dont really need the data capture box for every standard.

You can then test it on the dvr, or if you dont have demo DVr you can use a hyperterminal client to see how it outputs

Dear Kao,

The easiest way to run the HyperTerminal Test.

** You will need a crossover RS232 cable and a laptop. < You will not need a POS data capture box. >

** Connect the laptop with POS machine by using a crossover RS232 cable.

** Follow procedure inside the attachment. Please confirm that you have correct COM ports and baud rate.

** The result of HyperTerminal test must be exactly the same as your printer receipt. If you didn't see any transaction showing up on the result of HyperTerminal test, most likely your POS machine is not compatible with GeoVision product or your POS machine is using Graphic mode.

Always run the hyper terminal test before purchasing any GV Data Capture boxes...

If the distance is a matter to you, Yes...ethernet version is a good choice...

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

Technical Support

GeoVision. Inc.

+886-2-8797-8377 ext 287

www.geovision.com.tw

I dont like doing data capture POS, it should not be done that way...

Doing data capture in such a mannor, only gives you part of the information, a docket or a 232 output is usually sanatized data, therefore some of the things you want to search wont show up becasue they arent on a docket or are printed differently to how the information is stored.

It is better to get the actual file data and translate it at this point, then when you have a complete journal file you can search more data, it also eliminates the need for Data Capture box's and expensive wiring....and with a lot of registers looking towards wireless or networked or USB printing it is going to become redundant.

A lot of times people install the box onto the 232 port which may have data coming out of it, but probably also some voltage to drive the small customer line display, this can destroy the data capture box and can be a fire hazzard, be carefull because not every POS machine has a standard 232 output, the pins ma be in different order or not even used.