northeastremote

Police Station interrogation room system design + 5 cameras

I have been chosen to do a 6 camera video system with 2 audio channels. The audio channels must be in sync with the corresponding video to be shown in court if needed. I have been using avermedia and building my own DVR's but I have little experience in audio and law enforcement. They would like the camera in the interrogation room and holding cell to be on a switch, both with audio, activated outside the room seems straight forward. They would also like to be able to burn a dvd to insert in a standard DVD player???? We need a minimum of 30 f/p/s with no viewable loss of video and no loss of audio. I'm thinking the NV-7400 or 6480 any thoughts or ideas from anyone who has done this before would be appreciated. I will be using 5 analogue 540 TV line cameras and a Arecont-3130 for the parking lot. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!! Money is not an object for this client.

It also must be very simple to use.

How much insurance do you have for your company on products you build ? I would make the remark that you need to sell them pre-built equipment designed for this type recording as you will be 100% lyable for this system to work.

My contract is bullet proof as it was written by a bottom feeding attorney and if that fails I'm an LLC. If their is a company that specializes in law efforcement equipment I would love to hear about. They currently use a camcorder!!! ADT and the other big boys are lost. My only real issue is getting it to play without a computer.

You could try Visimetrics (google for visimetrics for the details) they produce stuff like this, suitable for custodial cctv, law enforcement etc.

The fastar is a nice unit, self contained DVR, lip synced audio, full d1 resolution etc... Worth seeing if they do a ntsc version, but you may still need a pc to export the footage to burn to a dvd...

Dont forget to install a "Attorney Switch" that will interrupt any video and audio signals to insure confidentially during attorney consultations with suspect if they dont change rooms... The chicago police dept and some other large PD depts have a system designed with a switch that interrupts the video and audio signals originating from the interview room while the system continues recording - after the counselor flips the attorney switch, the date and time appear on a black screen, allowing the PD to document the attorney visit while maintaining client confidentiality. A tone sounds in the interview room every 30 seconds to confirm to the attorney that the system remains in the proper mode. May want to disuss this liability with your design team as well the PD client or Local DA.

Thanks for the helpful input. Any idea where to get the device that will produce the audible tones when recording is disabled. Can the attorney switch just be a simple double pull/ double throw rocker with a relay set up to generate the tone for attorney purposes? Or is there a prebuilt device on the market?

A construction super I know gave me a heads up on the system....he told me the company involved was TranTech http://www.trantech-inc.com/ couldnt get any more info (contractual obligations) but there is info on the web refering to the system elements. Perhaps if you contact them direct they may offer some resources. as well here is link to a co that sells interview devices for PD : http://www.covert-systems.com/int_room/int_room.html cant vouch for them, I dont do that type of work but have in my past GF career worked on many county/state projects on the construction end for secure facilities and its hard to gain actual details from consults/design involving their inhouse security systems. You may want to source info from law enforcement publications and construction links regarding county/state local security projects put to bid or ongoing by region. Good luck....regards

Hello northeastremote, after re-reading your original post...an after thought .... if you already have a contract with the police agency for the design/build and it is not stipulated to include such a device then you dont need to worry. (perhaps they use a "secure" isolated room for" for lawyer consult.)

Me personally... I would prefer an LED indicator over an intermittent tone.

Geovision can handle this with ease, use their IO controller and have it montior the toggle switch and kill power to the cam/mic and send power to an LED when in privacy mode.

My contract is bullet proof as it was written by a bottom feeding attorney and if that fails I'm an LLC.

I love this, when ever you find a good lawyer you have another 10 to 20 to get that contract and rip it to paper shreds. You'll spend more on attorney fees than you made for that year. Anyhow always use the best equipment, not stuff you put together this is not a retail job that if you miss something they say oh well. Police stations are were the SH*& hits the fan 99.9% of the times and if you miss even a second of video or voice you'll be in a court explaining that to a judge. And a line of bottom feeding attorneys ready to take everything you have worked for.