chuck p

white banding lines at night

I have 3 NUVICO NVCC-W27IR30N cameras and during night time i'm getting white bands rolling from bottom to top ,there not to bad as you can see through the lines, they are about 1 inch wide .I'm also using 1.5 amp power supplies on each camera.

Chuck

Chuck p,

Nuvico says 12 volt 1 amp supply (regulated).

Are you using a regulated power supply?

If you are not sure measure the open circuit voltage to see if it is between 11.8 to 12.8 volts, (typical of a regulated supply), if it reads over 13.5 volts it is probably not regulated. Many un-regulated supplies will check 18 to 22 volts with no load. Since you are having the problem when the IR is on it makes the power source suspect as the camera draws more current with the IR on.

OR your power wires are too small and it is starving the camera when the IR is on. Check the voltage when the IR is on at the source and at the camera (camera connected) you should have a minimum of 11.2 volts at the camera.

Are your cameras, connections and cables at least 12" away from AC or other power wires?

If this is of no help can you post pictures of the affected screens and tell us what type and how long your cable is and what the cameras are mounted to.

Are your coax lines near a high current night light? This sounds like a inducted AC hum from a night light also check your power source that you are not sharring your power with a night light controlled by a photo cell.

Maybe ground loop- do you get a clean signal during day operation,(its possible that you are not - just more visible during night operation) ground loops can be radom and highly unpredictable....A difference of a few millivolts can cause a ground loop. Also you state that you are powering cams from multiple PS make sure that all of them are working off a common ground. Are you using sub-standard cable (cheap/cable) often that can contribute to pic probs as well check you cable paths (UTP or Cable) if an AC magnetic field comes close to your cable.The AC field can induce a current into your cable and disrupt your video signal. If THIS is the problem and cabling path relocate does not solve the problem you can use a video isolation transformer to correct the signal disturbance, ground loops can be a bear to trace/find but they can be corrected not eliminated. This advice is not definitive...as other posters advised there maybe other sources of your problem or a combination of others...but from what you described sounds like a ground loop. Before you involve ground loop devices first check your ps locations, voltages, cable paths and any switching devices that operate at night nearby.

Thanks for all the help the ps are from radioshack 12vdc 1500 ma adapt a plug type.The cameras came with a 500ma ps i will try the tonight to see if it changes anything. I don't know what type of cable it is but i'm using 100 ft.I guess it will be trial and error with all the tips to find out what the problem is and the cameras are mounted on vinyl siding and not near any power lines. One thing i did notice that there is a slight flickering during daylight .

Chuck

Look for "Regulated" printed on the label on the AC adapter from Radio Shack... to be sure test it. The "noise filter" noted, often with DC - output voltage of unregulated DC power adapters have a fairly significant AC "ripple voltage" (known as noise), that travels on top of the DC voltage component at the power adapter output. The "ripple voltage" can range from several milli-volts to a volt or more, the "filter" (or smoothing) capacitor across the positive (+) and negative (-) output of the power adapter (where the power output meets the input of the load). A capacitor value of 100µF to 470µF can typically reduce the ripple voltage by 50 to 90% or more. this is not TRUE regulation, the filter capacitor can provide some degree of increased voltage stability, during minor short term variations to load power requirements but best to seek a REGULATED PS as noted in the cam spec.

I've checked everywhere on the package and nowwhere is regulated mentioned come to think of it i didn't have this problem until i switched ps. I thouht the p.s .that came with the camera were underated at 500ma thats why i went to radioshack and found these .I'm going to put the 500 ma back on until i can find a 1 or 1.5 amp regulated p.s. I put the 500ma back on and the picture quality did go down a bit , lets see if the lines are gone when it gets dark out,can someone recommend a decent power supply, i would rather go with 3 individual ones i did find a supply that powered 8 cameras if that would be better, but i don't know if i'm allowed to post links

Chuck

Edited by Guest

Chuck, If your going to use mulitple single PS for your cams (IR D/N 12V)go with 12VDC 1000mA UL listed - regulated. Dependent on your set up you may consider a single powr box to handle all three cams.

Well it finally got dark enough for the ir to kick in so far no banding with the 500ma p.s.Are we allowed to post links .I found a ps that does 8 cameras.

Chuck

If the quality of your pic starts to degrade (darker image) in night - IR operation - ON- then step up to 1000 mA added draw for IR operation - as well consider drop for longer wire runs.

Sorry for the late reply ,been busy at work .I put the 500ma p.s. back on and the lines went away.I ordered 3 1.5 amps from a sponser on this site i'm still waiting for them to come in, at least these are regulated.I went with the 1.5 amp because of the long run 100 ft,i hope this helps.

Thanks

Chuck

The new p.s came in ,no more banding and it seems like the ir shows more.These p.s are alot lighter than the last ones ,seems to be electronic.

Chuck