Securitymaster

Dealership IP system.

Ok, so I'm designing a IP video system for a local dealership here in the area.

I intalled the Arecont 3130 camera, with a Exacq NVR as a demo. The idea is that the camera will cover the specified area wich is roughly about 40 yards deep and 20 yards wide. The camera's picture looks good during the day, but at night, all I can say is that the arecont website is misleading as to the image quality, plus I was also disappointed with the digital zoom. I'm looking for a megapixel camera that, when something happens at the far end of the lot, I can do a digital zoom from the archive and see for example the face of the person breaking into the vehicles. I know that it is a lot to ask for, but if someone can recommend me a camera that will let me get the best image possible, using a 6mm lens.

The area has plenty of lighting, so that won't be an issue.

Only requirement is that the camera must be IP, as we are not using analog cameras at all.

I'm open to ideas.

Thanks.

Ok, so I'm designing a IP video system for a local dealership here in the area.

I intalled the Arecont 3130 camera, with a Exacq NVR as a demo. The idea is that the camera will cover the specified area wich is roughly about 40 yards deep and 20 yards wide. The camera's picture looks good during the day, but at night, all I can say is that the arecont website is misleading as to the image quality, plus I was also disappointed with the digital zoom. I'm looking for a megapixel camera that, when something happens at the far end of the lot, I can do a digital zoom from the archive and see for example the face of the person breaking into the vehicles. I know that it is a lot to ask for, but if someone can recommend me a camera that will let me get the best image possible, using a 6mm lens.

The area has plenty of lighting, so that won't be an issue.

Only requirement is that the camera must be IP, as we are not using analog cameras at all.

I'm open to ideas.

Thanks.

As u know at night time it will switch to b/w mode

meaning u have about 1280 pix avail from left to right

so in your example at 20 yards wide =60 feet

1280:60 feet ~about 21 pix

sorry not good for face id

that just my opinion

ak is right you need more pixels or more cameras.

For IP cameras more light also as their [&IR] sensitivity is poor.

It would be nice to have one 10 MP cam up high overseeing a whole lot

and with good .1lux type performance but I think where talking 2010+

for that. tho I see some 8MP cams but thats a fib also [its 4x 2mp cams] .

-marketing people again !

I see extreme have one out -wow! .... but it also drops to 1mp or so at night. AGHHH I want more pixels at night not less !

Would be nice to see an active IR test with it anyway -it looks like they cut the 2 holes out with a rusty knife and put a 3130 in -same specs just about ?

I have even been designing my own a 4MP cam with NO IR filter with a PIR

to take the picture at night -just an experiment

I would put some cams at the choke points at the far end of the lots, where its easy to walk in or jump over a fence.

My neighbor runs a large car lot he spent BIG dollars on a crap system

then kids threw rocks from a train line at night 50m away wiping out 20cars !

Anyway....the good news is the spec`s are getting better.

At the moment everyone lies when it gets dark !

Im confused, if the area has plenty of lighting, why is there a problem at night?

I cant imagine any megapixel camera doing well at night to be honest, without lots of lighting, but not used any megapixel cctv yet, just from experience with normal megapixel cams, they need plenty of light to operate well.

oh I forgot to add are the internal camera settings ok? maybe its not switching

to night mode ?

z

Can we see a night time picture?

I help a lot of the dealers in my area through their initial 3130 installations.

Sounds like you need at least 5 mega pixels and need get the lighting fixed in the lot, might be as easy as a bulb change to higher wattage higher color temp around the lot.

z

Sounds like you need more cameras to me. If you can't cover the whole area with a single camera, why not go with a bunch of smaller cameras?

-Rob

Sorry guys for not posting. I'm going there tonight to see how is going. I changed a few settings 2 days ago, and tonight I will see how is going. I'll get a few snapshots and get back to this forum.

Thanks for all the help.