scorpion

CCTV camera sees under clothing!

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/71750,cctv-camera-sees-under-clothing.aspx

CCTV sees under clothing.

By Iain Thomson

The ThruVision T5000 can spot items underneath clothing at a range of up to 25 metres.

All materials emit different terahertz waves, allowing the cameras to differentiate between sugar and cocaine, for example.

Clive Beattie, chief executive at ThruVision, said: "Acts of terrorism have shaken the world in recent years and security precautions have been tightened globally.

"The ability to see metallic and non-metallic items on people out to 25 metres is a key capability that will enhance any comprehensive security system deployment."

ThruVision claimed that privacy campaigners should not be alarmed since the human body emits terahertz waves at a frequency which the device does not scan, meaning that personal body details are not revealed.

This contrasts with millimetre wave radar such as the Secure 1000 systems being tested at Heathrow which provide clear pictures of the body under clothing.

Dr Liz Towns-Andrews, director of knowledge exchange at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, said: "Astronomers use T-ray cameras that can see through dust and clouds in space, revealing what lies beyond.

"This is a first-class example of how fundamental scientific research can be applied to benefit the whole of society.

"Who would have imagined that research carried out by space scientists to study the stars could be used to protect the public from terrorists and therefore save lives? The impact of this will be remarkable."

Copyright © 2008 vnunet.com

Here is yet another technology emerging into the market... I think it is the same technology article...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080309/tc_nm/security_britain_technology_dc

Sun Mar 9, 7:21 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A British company has developed a camera that can detect weapons, drugs or explosives hidden under people's clothes from up to 25 meters away in what could be a breakthrough for the security industry.

The T5000 camera, created by a company called ThruVision, uses what it calls "passive imaging technology" to identify objects by the natural electromagnetic rays -- known as Terahertz or T-rays -- that they emit.

The high-powered camera can detect hidden objects from up to 80 feet away and is effective even when people are moving. It does not reveal physical body details and the screening is harmless, the company says.

The technology, which has military and civilian applications and could be used in crowded airports, shopping malls or sporting events, will be unveiled at a scientific development exhibition sponsored by Britain's Home Office on March 12-13.

"Acts of terrorism have shaken the world in recent years and security precautions have been tightened globally," said Clive Beattie, the chief executive of ThruVision.

"The ability to see both metallic and non-metallic items on people out to 25 meters is certainly a key capability that will enhance any comprehensive security system."

While the technology may enhance detection, it may also increase concerns that Britain is becoming a surveillance society, with hundreds of thousands of closed-circuit television cameras already monitoring people countrywide every day.

ThruVision came up with the technology for the T5000 in collaboration with the European Space Agency and from studying research by astronomers into dying stars.

The technology works on the basis that all people and objects emit low levels of electromagnetic radiation. Terahertz rays lie somewhere between infrared and microwaves on the electromagnetic spectrum and travel through clouds and walls.

Depending on the material, the signature of the wave is different, so that explosives can be distinguished from a block of clay and cocaine is different from a bag of flour.

Amazing...

This contrasts with millimetre wave radar such as the Secure 1000 systems being tested at Heathrow which provide clear pictures of the body under clothing.

Radar? As it happens I was involved in a minor role in the original design of that product perhaps 15+ years ago when it had a different owner, and as pointed out on the current owner's (Rapidscan) website it most definitely uses low-level X-rays. Invasion of privacy was the biggest impediment to sales, aside from the US$100k price tag. One of our staff was even fired for scanning an attractive but uninformed female temp worker. While we owned the product we never sold a single unit, but one was lent to a Mexican prison to scan the visitors. It did have a software mask for covering the naughtiest bits but no-one ever looked good.

http://www.rapiscan.com/sec1000.html

75603_1.jpg

Was this product "top secret", and then recently declassisfied so that it could be implemented in to airports, and sports stadium ect. ect??

I remember 10 years ago when sony had produced a consumer camcorder that had the ability to see through clothing. It was through one of their video scenes that you could switch on, like seppia or something like that. But they quickly fixed that and nothing was heard about it again for awhile. Now this feature is finally being put to use after all these years.

The Sony thing was actually the Nightshot feature. You can mod the cam so that it goes into nightshot mode, but defeats the internal filter. You then put an external IR pass filter on to get the see-thru effect. It works. Don't ask me how I know.

What camcorder has the nightshot feature that is easly purchased today new?

What would be the camcorder to look for if you went to a pawn shop for an older model?

Well, they still make camcorders with Nightshot. It's not just the Nightshot feature itself that gave it the ability. It's the fact the the internal filter was so easily disabled. They don't make them that way anymore, so you can't defeat the filter anywhere near as easily as before. It takes some major hacking of the camera. This involves a lot of precise work with very tiny and fragile parts. I have over 25 years of electronics experience, and it ws a challenge to me.

There are about three generations of camera that has this ability. The early gen just required that you move the nightshot switch only halfway between normal mode and Nightshot. The second gen required putting in a switch to interrupt the filter circuit, and the third which required modifying a circuit board, the Nightshot switch AND adding the defeat switch. These models were the DCR series from the early to mid nineties. Mine is a DCR-TRV103 from just after they made the first revision to disable the easy filter removal. Just remember that all of these models require the use of an external filter that cuts visible light and passes IR. I would have to look up the exact model numbers that fall into these categories, but I'm not even sure that's possible anymore.

Thanks!

Very interesting information!

If mod believes this should be moved to Dealer section I will agree.

This definately has value to retailers and also prevents any security threats but what if you have unmarked officials carrying guns. The last thing that you would want is this device to get in the wrong hands

Edited by Guest

HMMMMMMMMMMM??

I saw in your introduction that your corp head Q is based in Largo. Are you at the HQ, or do they have another building elsewhere?

I love the technology. I can't wait to be able to just walk through the detector at the airport at speed. I don't care if they can see my "business" if it gets me through the checkpoint faster. It's better then emptying my pockets and taking my shoes off...