v2comp

Anyone used microtek wireless equipment?

What is the best solution for wireless long-range more than 1-mile? I have used microtek Minilink wireless ethernet system with mpeg encoder/decoder set and all I can say, it is expensive and offers disappointing performance.

Video compression (D1) 740x480 mpeg4 looked not as clear as wired connection (not even close to). There is also slight delay, makes it difficult to control PTZ. I used PTZ cam from Merit Lilin that has outstanding picture when wired, but not with wireless setup, it makes me wonder… what is the point of using high-grade cameras with wireless transmission?

I should have go with less expensive cam and achieve same results.

Could someone direct me to better wireless equipment?

I think your problem is latency with the encoders.

If you use high bandwidth IP links with a strong signal :ie 54Mb bridge and IP cameras even 5Mp ones you wont have this problem.

I say 'strong signal' because the speed drops when the signal drops of course

z

forgot to ask:

What model ?

are you using turbo mode ?

what is the signal strength ?

Have you measured the latency with a ping ?

Have you put the encoder and decoder back to back with a crossover cable then is the image still not clear ? is the PTZ commands still slow...

z

You shouldn't have latency issues if your set the system up right. Have you spoke with Microtek support? We have had zero issues with Microtek and there support team is awesome!

check out proxim or firetide i just got back from a proxim class and we talked a great deal about the importance of site surveys and interfering equipment. One channel switch can make all the difference in having a good link.