Media

IP camera wire run length

There are ways to extend that distance:

http://www.patton.com/products/pe_products.asp?category=146

CopperLinkâ„¢ Model 2172

50-Mbps Ethernet Extender

Patton’s CopperLink 2172 breaks distance and speed barriers with up to 50-Mbps full-duplex and distances of up to 6,000 feet (1,830 meters). Now a single twisted-pair can go the distance without sacrificing speed or cost..

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/ts_122701.html

The Innovation of Long-Reach Ethernet

Thanks to a new innovation by Cisco Systems, things like high-speed Internet access, video streaming and IP Telephony are going places they previously couldn't. Hugh Barrass, Technical Leader, and his team of engineers at Cisco created the Cisco Long-Reach Ethernet (LRE) broadband networking solution—the industry's first end-to-end product line for delivering 5-15 Mbps performance over existing Category 1/2/3 wiring. With Ethernet-like performance that reaches up to 5,000 feet, LRE enables simultaneous voice, video and data applications without the need to rewire.

Its also highly dependent on the quality of wire [use CAT6] and the brand/model of switch you are using .

the official lengths are only a guide really.

but if its just to far you have to use extenders

z

Its also highly dependent on the quality of wire [use CAT6] and the brand/model of switch you are using .

the official lengths are only a guide really.

With cat6 you may find distances are marginally shorter for things like power due to the fact that cat6 has a higher twist ratio. This may even out with the use of 22/23g cat6 instead of 24g.

I read somewhere that CAT6 spec doesn't actually specify 23awg. So if that is true I guess some manufacturers use it to meet some other benchmark.

Just throwing that out there for anyone wanting the bigger gauge. You should check before buying...

What is the maximum length for wired IP camera until it need a repeater?

480ft?

I think it would be 100 meters or 300 feet (US) but I suggest you look at wika or some info site on data transfer distances

The spec is 328 feet....but again it's just a spec that in a perfect world is followed. I can testify 400 feet running PoE with 8 months without interruption, but many will say follow the rules.

IEEE has stated that Ethernet distance limitation is 328ft (100m), once past that point the degradation of Ethernet starts to happen. Ethernet extenders help combat this. Some manufactures use a DSL type modem on both sides, but have a Bandwidth limitation. Some use a Power-over-Ethernet style, were a 10/100 mbs switch powered via PoE is placed every 328 ft to continue the Ethernet signal.

There is also Cat5 cable that uses 22AWG cooper that also helps with distances, but limited to another 50-75 feet more.

I read somewhere that CAT6 spec doesn't actually specify 23awg. So if that is true I guess some manufacturers use it to meet some other benchmark.

Just throwing that out there for anyone wanting the bigger gauge. You should check before buying...

The spec actually calls for 22 to 24 AWG wire.

The spec actually calls for 22 to 24 AWG wire.

Thanks for the clarification. So yeah, if bigger gauge wire is what you are after you should check the manufacturers spec...

If you are extending with the patton or other extenders you are actually sending the signal over a dsl circute so the 300ft limit does not apply you are converting the ethernet to dsl and then back to ethernet. I have used these types of extenders and run 1800 ft with no problem.