leetwanker

Help choosing DVR Card & Software

I'm about to build my first PC DVR and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of products out there, and the potential to spend money on something that my customer will not be happy with.

System Specs: (Will upgrade if needed)

I'm using a Dell Dimension 2400

Pentium 4 2.4Ghz

1GB DDR SDRAM

Intel 845GV Chipset

Seagate 400GB IDE Drive

I'm looking for a 4 Channel card, or 8 channel if the price is right for future expandability purposes.

I'd like to be able to pick from a variety of software packages, one thing I've been noticing is most times you have to install an ActiveX control to view the DVR over the net, which means you're only able to use IE and a Windows machine to view the feed. I'd like to be able to view the feed from any type of computer from any browser over the internet. It's also be nice to be able to use a software client to view the feed over the net if you're going to be viewing it from the same computer very often.

I'm not sure if I'm asking for too much here, but to me this sounds reasonable.

I was thinking about a sub-250$ price range, I don't need crystal clear quality, for now I'll just be using some old analog cameras.

Can you guys recommend a card that has this type of flexibility?

I'm very glad I found this forum and can draw off the experience of you guys that have been doing this for years and have most likely learned the hard way.

THANKS!

Justin

edit: I have installed some American Dynamics DVRs and they seem to have all these capabilities. I don't believe I was ever asked to install an ActiveX control for them, and I'm pretty sure there was a remote client also, but it's been a while. Looking for that type of functionality.

After viewing your requirements, I think NV4004HC & NV4008HC(H.264 hardware compression) are your good choice .

You may have a look at the introduction at *couldn't quote*.

I can't find anywhere to get a price on these cards, much less to buy them. I was looking at Video Insight's VN30 Card which seems to have pretty nice remote viewing capabilities and you only have to install an ActiveX control if you want to view the cameras at high-speed. Their 4 channel card is going for around 289$

'd like to be able to pick from a variety of software packages, one thing I've been noticing is most times you have to install an ActiveX control to view the DVR over the net, which means you're only able to use IE and a Windows machine to view the feed. I'd like to be able to view the feed from any type of computer from any browser over the internet. It's also be nice to be able to use a software client to view the feed over the net if you're going to be viewing it from the same computer very often.

Hi, Justin. nice to see you here. With Netvision software, you can remotely view it through IE and also NVR client software, and with the hybrid DVR system, analog camera and IP camera can be used together, it can upmost add to 64chs.