CCTVINSTALLER

What router to use

Hi Guys,

Im installing a GV800-16 system for a client. He has ordered broadband. Would you recommend sharing the internet connection with other users or is it best to have a dedicated broadband access point for the geovision system. Also i need a high quality router with hardware firewall, which do you lot use? im thinking of using a Netgear (DG834) £50 router, will that do? Thanks for the support in addvance

Netgear actually makes a very good product. I'm not sure what else is hooking up to the router, but you may want to get a wireless router so you can add other computers to it later on.

Linksys is famous for great products. They are very simple to use as well as very versitile. They are actually owned by cisco. Recently their routers have become a little harder to setup, but have many features and have a track record that is untouchable. Either products are great.

If you are looking for something super simple and cheap, Belkin makes damn good routers too. I would NOT recommend dlink, SMC, or any of the others you'll see in CompUSA or Staples. They are harder to setup, aren't as reliable, and dispite what you will read elsewhere, just aren't as well made and designed. Dlink is famous for being referred to as EXCELLENT, they are probably the worst products I've used in reference to useability.

Good luck!

Not to object, but, my experiences are; Belkin sucks. Dlink is great on the line side but terrible on the wireless, Dlinkand Netgear are good, both wirless and line, but I give the edge to dlink in that the port forwarding is easier to use. Do you need wireless? If so, make sure you purchase a router that allows for connection of higher gain antenna as you will most likely need that to improve performance. I advise that you search the WEB for Networking Forums and read, read, read!!! Everyone has an opinion based on how they use it. Everyone uses them differently enough to match your requirements to the right router. As far as a dedicated link for your router? That depends on the customer and what they have behind the router. If there is a huge amount of traffic going over ANY router, a video link will further degrade overall speed. You can run a speed test before and after installs to verify the impact, which may help you recommend solutions to the customer.

Also be aware that in the US, adding higher gain anntennas may be illegal, depending on the amount you add. If you start interfearing with other signals such as phones or ham radios (and they will complain, vocally) then you're in violation of FCC regs.

Well,

As I stated earlier, Linksys is probably the best, Netgear is second, Belkin is 3rd and Dlink comes up the rear in all aspects!!

If you are doing wireless I would go with linksys for one reason, and one reason only. Best support for external antennas. A good 15 or 24 dBi patch antenna will work great for linking just about anything with minimal to moderate interference (such as elevator shafts, walls, metal structures, etc. Not trying to step on toes...here in the US there is the FCC regulating frequencies and all wireless broadcasts. But, by adding a high gain antenna, in regards to wifi equipment, isn't altering the GHZ range the wireless equipment is working on. It all works on a specific portion of the 2.4 GHZ range. You can add a 20,000 foot antenna with powered amps and lightening grounders on it...it is still only broadcasting on 2.4 GHZ and within its dedicated range.

If you really are doing wireless installs, contact me, we have great connections to antenna manufacturers, and can at least point you in the right direction.

Aside from CCTV, I have hooked up buildings in the city to share an internal network 5 miles away. Tsunami antennas can be as big as a small RV, and can link wifi up to 10 miles without signal degradation.

Hopefully you will find what you are looking for. Remember, it isn't what the best and most expensive is...it is what you are using it for. If you are linking together a room with perfect line of sight...go to CompUSA and get the linksys on sale. If you are linking together an RV park, you will obviously need some research, pricing around, and serious design.

Not trying to step on toes...here in the US there is the FCC regulating frequencies and all wireless broadcasts. But, by adding a high gain antenna, in regards to wifi equipment, isn't altering the GHZ range the wireless equipment is working on. It all works on a specific portion of the 2.4 GHZ range. You can add a 20,000 foot antenna with powered amps and lightening grounders on it...it is still only broadcasting on 2.4 GHZ and within its dedicated range.

Actually, the way I understand it there are very specific limitations on transmit power in the USA.

1watt EIRP (equivalent isotropically radiated power) for omnidirectional antennas and 4watts EIRP for directional antennas.

The most power you put into a transmission, the more likely you are to bleed into other parts of the specturm. The Ham bands aren't too far away from the wi-fi bands. The Ham's are licenced to use thier space, you aren't. They will get vocal, and they may just jam your signal for interfearing with theirs. Also when you put out more power you're more likely to jam portable phones, wireless camera links, and just about any cheap wireless device. At that point you will be in violation of FCC regs.

For what it's worth,the same principle applies to wireless TX in the U.K.

You can generally fit high performance aerials on receiver units without compromising the regs. However, if you try and increase the transmitter power output, that is most certainly in breach of regulations (and can carry a hefty fine on conviction, if found out).

linksys is the easiest as far as I have seen, as far as port forwarding, set up, etc. for CCTV. Id like to play with the trendnet because of the noip thing, but the set up is so cheesy and they dont use plain english in their setup options. Sorry I dont have time to learn it, I like to 'plug & play'

Most of the hardware in the comsumer grade routers are the same. It's the firmware that makes a bigger differance. Most people find Linksys to be easier to set up and I've found them more helpful with tech support. YMMV.