rvella

Sealed underground conduit -- HELP!

I'm bidding a job with underground conduit. The conduit has a greyish material sealing the pipe. I've been told this is common with gas stations because of fumes leaking back into the building. Question is: How do I remove it? I want to then, of course, reseal the conduit with a similar material. Anyone had experience with this sort of thing before? Another contractor bidding the job mentioned a solvent that will dissolve the material.

Any help is appreciated and rewarded with large amounts of thank yous.

- Rob

It is probably some variant of the expanding foam you can find at home improvement centers. It usually comes in a spray can. Or is it like putty?

But of course the specific stuff you are looking at is probably special to the electrical industry. I would check with your local electrical supply house and see what they recommend you use as a replacement.

I would think the way to remove the plug would be by digging it out. I wouldn't feel comfortable pouring any kind of solvent down a conduit I wanted to pull cable through. Specially if it was advice from a competitor.

This is the stuff we used on the rigs for gas sealing on conduits.

STOPAQ 2100

What ever it is you are going to have a major problem removing it as it is specifically designed to resist solvents/hydrocarbons.

I believe that conduit-sealing material is part of NEC. Need to be very careful, especially around "fume possible" conduits. There should be a special Condulet Fitting at the ends also, which allows this sealing material to be poured in. Does the current conduit contain "medium voltage" or "low voltage" wiring ?