how does it work????? my first dvr will be arriving friday and i'm curious as to how pre\post alarm works. mine states Pre Recoding by Event 2sec, 4sec, 6sec, 8sec, 10sec

Post Recoding by Event 10sec, 30sec, 1min, 5min, 10min

does it do this for motion detect recording? how can it pre\post record if it's only set for motion record? might be a stupid question, but i just thought i'd ask anyways. thanks

A digital DVR when set for motion detection "stores" the amount of pre and post determined times and then writes the incident to the drive. Not a stupid question at all. Very nice feature.

Mike

As to my knowledge, all the setting data of pre recording is taken from the memory, and it is not only set for motion detection.

It keeps the video in a buffer, and starts writing (from the beginning of the buffer, ie pre-event motion - when a even occurs.) it can then continue writing the event, and with post event it just keeps writing the video for a specified length of time after the event occurs (ie 1 min, or 2 mins etc after motion or alarm has stopped)

The buffer can either be in memory, or on the hard drive depending on the dvr/software and sometimes its settings.

If possible try to always go for one with pre event buffer in memory, as otherwise the hard drive is always writing data, even when there is no events occuring.

When its in memory, it only has to write to the drive when something happens.

[quote name=

The buffer can either be in memory' date=' or on the hard drive depending on the dvr/software and sometimes its settings.

If possible try to always go for one with pre event buffer in memory, as otherwise the hard drive is always writing data, even when there is no events occuring.

When its in memory, it only has to write to the drive when something happens.[/quote]

thanks. that's exactly the reason i was asking. looking to keep hdd usage to a minimum.