leigh

What kind of wireless security cameras are most popular?

Hello, everybody here!

I am a seller of wireless security cameras. In order to develop new products, our company are now collecting ideas from people all over the world.

If you are interested in wireless cameras, what functions you care about most? Or do you have any good innovative ideas for my reference? Thanks!

there are no good wireless cameras they are all rubbish unless you custom design one.

either encrypted COFDM or WIFI with WPA are worthy there might be a few more. netgear, linksys, Ebay WIFI cams etc also rubbish.

these cameras have the following BAD attributes:

analog

low TX power

no antenna socket

no encryption

cheap noisy CCD sensors

IR blaster LEDs that saturate the area

No IRIS

No IR cut filter

IR focus shift

Are on video sender bands 900/2.4/5.8

oh yes I wasted heaps of money on the rubbish...

OK! You have my interest peaked!

For wireless cameras that have the transmitter built in: I know you have to make the wattage low so that the transmitter does not travel very far. Is it possible to make it "modifiable" so that us "professionals" can open it up, and cut a jumper that would enable a higher wattage?

How high can the wattage be in a built in camera before the heat destroys the camera?

How about making it cheap, but using digital wireless. Would digital travel farther? It would be nice to use a camera where the video is not open to the world to see.

How about a varifocal wireless camera for the entry priced market?

How about a weather proof external transmitter. I want to mount a camera on a dock, and then attach a wireless transmitter on the dock, plug in a 12volt DC power supply, and then plug in an antenna, and not have to worry about water intrusion!!!

What is the limitations on wattages for built in cameras? How high can you go?

Are you limited to 2.4, and 5.8 GHz?? If not what other freqs can you manufacture the products with?

Is it possible to have more than 4 channels in the 2.4Ghz range?

What freq in the 2.4ghz would work the best, and avoid 802.11 wireless routers?

When manufacturing a camera what is the farthest IR throw that you can use with a waterproof camera with a built in transmitter without battery limitations? For battery operation I understand that the wattage has to be very low, and the IR throw has to be very short.

Can you label the products Not for battery use. For battery use. Can you make dual lines of products?

How about module cameras. Open the camera, and remove the 2.4 transmitter, and then insert a 5.8 transmitter, or any other freq that is available. Now I can have one camera line with 4 cams at 2.4, and 4 cams at 5.8, (or 8 at 5.8 if you use all 8 channels).

How about swappable lens?

In the entry level priced market I know this cannot be done, but within limitations can it be done??

How about changing the IR?? Short range, but wide, or swap for a narrow, but longer throw??

What do you think of my dream list?

What would the price work out to at msrp?

There are many manufacturers that are wireless trasmitters and receivers so yes you can get external transmitters.

Cheap???.....dont!

No you are not limited to 2.4 and 5.8

Some other commonly used frequencys are 5.3, 4..9, and 900mhz.

Anothing higher than 5.8 and you are in the licensed band. Which is do able. I deal alot with that now. However your going to be looking at components in the excess of 15-20K a piece.

Before you get into swapping out transmitters and such what you need to do is complete a wireless site suvey. That way you know what frequencys are being used. You can avoid alot of headache by doing this.

But if you can keep it wired! its not as simple as the wireless company manufacturers marketing department makes it seem!

I was hoping he came up with a real cool design, and that he was pounding away on a cad drawing, and engineering up a nice little toy!!

I hope he can design one with more than 4 channels, and still be away from the freq where a microwave oven would tear up the channel with noise when it is in operation.

scorpion

IR arrays are often available in 30 degree , 45 and 60 degree to match 4 mm , 6 , 8 mm lenses etc

i PM'd you with something else

and then if you want to spend $ 200 - 400 each , there is the Raymax , Pacom and pelco IR illuminator arrays which are gauranteed up to 10 years and have angles of 10 degree to 180 dgrees

for high end wireless trans/rec there is these , some of which can be encrypted . out of my price range though.

http://www.pacom.com.au/products.asp

then there is other " stuff " called X-band and G-band which i suspect is more govt orientated

P.S.

*********** Important

never power up a transmitter if the antenna is unscrewed off it , you will blow its guts out

I will never install a wireless camera, period. I wish I had a dollar for every customer who has asked me to install one. When they insist, I politely thank them for the opportunity and advise them to seek someone else who will spend hours trying to get that perfect picture and only to have to return when a baby monitor is installed next door. Our policy is simple, if the signal is not in a wire, we cannot control it. As mentioned above, your path will not be protected until you have a licensed path and even then when you have someone jump into your spectrum, you will spend time trying to determine who it is and then time trying to shut him or her down.

It's just not worth it. Others may have good luck with them but we have not.

i understand your thoughts on the topic , and thanks for sharing.

fortunately for me the two sites i have installed them on have been farming areas .

If it was a built up city suburb i would agree with you that its a nightmare we dont need to invite ourselves into.

by the way , one installation paid for itself by notifying the owner of a burglar intrusion ( pop up screen with alarm ) , he then locked the meth addict thief inside the shed , and police took him away to the Rock Hotel for 6 months.

The shed in question contained $ 140,000 of uninsured workshop machinery

I agree, most wireless cameras (unless they are really high end big $$) are more trouble than they are worth. They are susceptible to interference of all sorts. Although, if you're in a rural area with low population density and less chance of interference you might get a good image using a high quality transmitter/receiver system. Otherwise, forget about wireless for now.

http://www.howtosurveillance.com/HowToVideo/wireless-camera-systems.html