golden1967

pelco SD ptz ceiling install help

I am installing a Pelco SD series ptz from a ceiling beam. In the past I have affixed a 11/2" pipe flange to the ceiling using unistrutt, and then lowered the dome down with a length of rigid 11/2" pipe. That rigid pipe is way heavier than the camera. Does anyone use EMT conduit with fittings to lower the dome down? Any ideas would be appreciated.

If you are afraid of the weight of the rigid pipe flange and pipe there are alluminum ones you can get that are 1/3 the weight. I'm not sure if I can state the source on here. If this post gets deleted then I'll know I can't. The company is mcmaster. Just go to thier dot com site.

We use EMT all the time for pendant mount cameras. Just make sure to use high quality fittings with at least 2 set screws and it helps to have at least one of the fitting screws penetrate through the conduit. If you are concerned about the dome falling, you can also add a safety strap inside the conduit.

Thanks for the replys- Survtech do you use 1/2"-3/4" or 1" conduit to lower pendant mount dome cameras? I've seen other installs where a conduit length is affixed to a 4" box and plate at the top and bottom and then the camera has a 11/2" threaded end that is locknut-ed to the bottom plate. Would this be similar to your method?

Rooney- I have several PTZ-s that are mounted using the 11/2" rigid pipe, I just don't like the flanges, as the ones I find are cast both aluminum and iron, which can crack easily, and the pipes can be 8' in length which are quite heavy and cumbersome. I'll look into threaded aluminum pipe but I have the same concerns about the threaded flange cracking. As for the safety line, I always run a 1/16"steel safety wire from the upper roof steel through any part attached to a cast metal part. I'll probably continue this safety line with an EMT conduit mount- as it makes me feel better.( I have had other trades on a jobsite knock into camera with lift equipment)

Pelco does not recommend using EMT conduit. However, since I am no longer employed by them, I can tell you that Survtech is right on the money. Saw tons of good installs using EMT but he is right in using the best quality fittings with the strapping as a back-up. EMT conduit is thick enough that it won't break.