are these 2 technologies the same? if not what are pros and cons?

my problem is i have a camera shooting at a front door of a store the doors are glass and there is a glass front on the building too, my customer does not like the image he is getting with his current camera. he says "face all look really dark and nothing is noticeable at certain times im waiting for a good screen shot i will post soon

To give you an idea of a camera that we carry below is a link to a WDR (type) camera that has a Pixim Chipset (chipset manufacturer) from Chiper (manufacturer).

http://www.chiper.com.tw/showproduct.aspx?sn=21

(manufacturer specs)

If you goto here... http://www.pixim.com/image-comparisons/side-by-side-images You can see images of the Chipset at work actually, with great result. I like the cameras they have overall and have seen good results from them.

Pixim is a CCD manufacturer and WDR is a type that they have.

If you need to know anything else about that wdr2500 let me know.

Thanks,

John

Ive used the GE WDR Camera which uses Pixim and Was not impressed.

Now I would use Panasonic if I needed WDR.

these are pics all from Speco Intensifier domes

They look worst than a non WDR camera

these are pics all from Speco Intensifier domes

They look worst than a non WDR camera

they are not WDR they are the intensifier series

well that explains it

To get the picture quality what you customer probably wants will not be achieved by this camera or most of the cameras with WDR or some chipsets... What your camera is fighting is trying to focus on variation of light and reflection of light mostly during the day and as long as this camera faces the door, not much will change.

For this type of setups, I will recommend Panasonic CP484 camera. Pricing is what it is and it probably is much more expensive than what you currently paid, but for obtaining the best quality video by facing the camera towards the door and with lighting conditions change frequently during the day, this camera will do the magic...

Just my two cents of the day...

Yup, like the others say, use a Panasonic WV-CP484 series camera. Anytime we need a WDR camera, its a CP484! Hands down the best WDR camera we have seen. Plus you can adjust some of the SDIII settings and customize it to your environment.

To address your first question

Post subject: WDR / PIXIM

are these 2 technologies the same? if not what are pros and cons?

The answer is no they are not. WDR is a function or feature, Wide Dynamic Range. Pixim is a manufacturer like Sony or Panasonic.

Pixim positioned themselves as WDR manufacturer but there are lots of other companies making WDR cameras. Panasonic being the most notable, they were the very first to bring out WDR and are on gen3 WDR now and quite a few people swear by them, but they aren't cheap.

Pixim were the new boys and created quite a splash but they are not to everyones taste. To correct a poster up the thread Pixim are not a CCD manufacturer, they are a CMOS manufacturer.

To address your first question

Pixim were the new boys and created quite a splash but they are not to everyones taste. To correct a poster up the thread Pixim are not a CCD manufacturer, they are a CMOS manufacturer.

I heard this from some Camera Manufactures.

Pixim Sensor seems to be CMOS and not a CCD.

I'm not 100% sure about this.

Pixim is definately a cmos chip and therefore not very good in low light, they do work really well in backlight situations. When facing a door they will give good facial shots when adjusted properly. WDR works and I have to agree with the rest, so far the pany is the best.

Pixim sensor is definitely built adopting CMOS process. It is said that the wide dynamic range performance is currently the best. I am not sure...

i live in China, and Pixim has not yet fully recognized by the local market, even though there are several security camera manufacturers... Will Pixim win in the WDR competition against other vendors, such as Sony,etc?

The Pixim is a CMOS imager. The 2500 Pixim chip has the ability to be a true day/night with an ICR Lens. So it can be IR sensitive at night.

Any imager can be a true day night. Assuming you mean IR sensitive at night and not IR sensitive during the day to be true day night then true day night comes as a result of moving the piece of crystal sat in front of the imager and it has nothing to do with the imager.

So the original Pixim imager could be a true day night if you wanted it to be as could any imager that is IR sensitive (which is all of them).

Not necessarily because the original Pixim say a 1500 series would need a separate chip to control the ICR. The 2500 series can operate the ICR without the separate chip.

So both can be made into day night cameras. The 1500 with an extra chip to control the switch (a few pennies) and the 2500 without the extra chip.

The six first gen early adopter partners all got the option to build in two unique features so each partner had unique selling features. The Pixim chips were quite flexible and I think the first gen had some programmable switches from the get go and I'm sure they could have triggered an IO to switch a filter in gen 1 if a partner had asked Pixim to code it for them.

Or that's what I thought. Perhaps I'm mistaken.