ghentry

Need input on system for my home

ARGH*, I just typed a novel and because I inserted links and I have only a few posts, I lost the entire thing. Here goes again.

A funny bit of background you might enjoy. Last year I wanted to put in a system but my wife was not very supportive of the expenditure, so I set the notion aside. Last week I was looking on Google Maps Streetview and saw that they captured a picture of a person looking inside our garage, and then going into our garage. We have no idea who this person was and there were not any cars on the street. So needless to say, she is now onboard with having cameras.

Once the system lets me, I will post the picture.

Here is what I would like to accomplish, and of course, like every other customer out there, I would like to accomplish it without spending a ton of money. How much is a ton, I'm not sure yet?

I have a 2 story home and would like to cover the front door, back door, driveway and back side of the house. With the exception of the backside of the house, there is good lighting. The cameras would need to be placed under the soffet, with the exception of the front door, where I would want to mount it lower to be able to recognize visitors (I'm assuming a board camera here?). I would prefer color cameras, however, if I need to go BW to accomplish a good quality picture at night, then that is fine. I would rather stay away from IR if possible since it washes out many details.

Here is what I would like for DVR features:

- Record on motion

- Be able to setup email alerts when motion is detected, and be able to dictate a schedule

for these alerts so I'm not getting emails at night, etc.

- Be able to record and playback video at 15FPS at a decent resolution (such as 640x instead of 320x)

- Be able to remotely view the cameras (I have broadband access).

In addition, I would reall like to be able to see the cameras from any television in the home (tie into my cable feed).

I have a diagram of the house layout, lights, etc., and will post the link once the system allows me to.

Hopefully I've given everyone enough info to start this conversation off. Thank you in advance for your input and time.

Edited by Guest

Now that I have 5 posts, here are the pics mentioned above.

Who is this guy?

78459_1.jpg

Diagram of the house.

cameralayout.jpg

On the upper right hand corner of your floorplan:

Do not use wide angle lenses. I would use 6mm lenses.

The other cameras can use wide angle cameras.

You did not tell us in what area the cameras are watching.

For example the driveway cam:

Is it watching the driveway up close, or are you watching the entrance way where the gutter is?

Big difference in lense selection, and IR selection for night time use.

On your suggestion on the 6mm for the top corner cameras, I agree. One would have a fairly tight shot on the back door and the other would be looking at the breaker box, phones and the side window.

For the driveway camera, I would like to just cover the distance from the garage door to the end of the cars. I measured and the distance from the door to the end of the cars is 20'. From the ground to the soffet is 16'. I hated Geometry and therefore have no idea how far it would be from the camera to the end of the car

I had the ladder up today looking to make sure I could run the cable through the soffet and snapped this picture. This shot is pretty close to what I'd like to be able to see. I wouldn't mind it going a little closer to the street.

P4190053.jpg

Are you interested in hair color, or a bald spot?

I am sorry! I could not resist! The point I would like to make is that you cannot see a face.

That would be a 3.8, lens from that photo.

If you are referring to the bottom of the picture, that was my knee.

If you are referring to the angle, I understand. So 3.6 is the widest angle lense correct? If that is so, then I guess that's about as much of the driveway I'm going to be able to cover then.

fixed lenses, you can also get 2.5mm - the wider you get the lower the quality gets going outwards from the center.

I think what Scorpion is trying to say is all your going to see is the top of the persons head and not a face shot, unless the look up...tell me if i am wrong..

Also the picture you posted is that the picture you said you got off google? ..

I think what Scorpion is trying to say is all your going to see is the top of the persons head and not a face shot, unless the look up...tell me if i am wrong..

Also the picture you posted is that the picture you said you got off google? ..

Gotcha. While I know this is not the optimum placement for the camera, I don't really think I have much other choice since its a 2 story. Also the main reason for having a camera on the driveway is that there are not any windows that can see the driveway.

While I may not be able to ID the person, at least I can see if someone is there or not and get a general description (clothing, etc.).

Yes, the very first picture that I posted was from Google.

I would not recommend that camera angle if it is the only camera facing this area.

It is a good angle if someone were to check both doors of two vehicles to see if they were unlocked, and you can see what items they take.

To make this a good system, then have another camera with a zoom lens and point it in the direction of the vehicles. You can mount this by your front door.

The second camera will give you facial identity when they step in to this second camera "zone". This second camera will not tell you a story like a wide angle lens, but then again a wide angle lens can give you details at a distance.

I was not refering to your knee, (whew! I did not know that was your knee)!

For the driveway cam that simulates the picture from above, then I would say use a varifocal camera that can be controlled by Pelco D protocol, and you can change the lens selection as your security needs change.

Say you want to see if your children are wearing their seat belts before they start the vehicle. Change the settings, and you have your answer.

I cannot predict what needs you have down the road, but you can see what I mean by making your system flexible. It may cost you more up front, but you will save by not having to buy a new camera everytime a new situation comes up.