Kurt

What makes a cam go into B/W?

I did some testing with various cam's to find that some cam's go to B/W mode in poor light conditions while others remain in color.

I know there is the IRcut function where a IR filter is mechanically moved away from the lens at night. But I also have cam's w/o IRcut that also go in B/W to improve the image quality. What is the trick? Exview? Are cam's with IRcut always exview? Exview always uses IRcut?

Fake day/night just removes the saturation from the picture making it BW then it turns up the gain.

True day/night does same but also remove the light filter allowing most light energy to the imager.

This can occur as a reaction to photocel or video driven like the iris.

Any imager can do either or.

Okay, but how to tell from the spec's when it's a 'fake'?

Is this technic with the saturation always used in combination with the more sensitive Exview CCD's? Or do Exview always use an IRcut filter?

Most of the specs I see state either "True Day/Night with IR Cut Filter" or simply "Day/Night" The price can also clue you in....

Most of the specs I see state either "True Day/Night with IR Cut Filter" or simply "Day/Night" The price can also clue you in....