DVR MAN

Camera voltage tolerance?

Why don't the camera manufacturers list the allowable input voltage tolerance on their spec. sheets? I would like to think that camera input voltage would allow about a +- two volt spread. It would be nice to have this info when selecting a particular camera.

It depends on the design of the camera. A well-designed camera should be able to tolerate at least +/- 10% from nominal. This reflects power supply tolerances and cable lengths. For instance, Pelco specs out their IP110 camera system as "Input Voltage 24 VAC (18-36)", which is 25% low to 50% high, and their C10DN-6 at "24 VAC ±15%/12 VDC ±15%".

Then again, we have Dallmeier, whose cameras are rated +/- 5% at 12VDC. That means 11.4 to 12.6 volts. STUPID!

Thanks. I think all surveillance cameras should post their power variables in their spec. sheets. Then the installer could taylor a system with confidence knowing that all components were matched correctly.

I just added an Altronics rack mount 16 output 12 Volt @ 3.5@ per output camera supply. It came set at 11.883 volts. I bumped it up to 12.2 volts (via Fluke 89 NIST). I figure that it is a safe place to start.

Your best bet is to measure the voltage at the camera and adjust it so the camera's voltage doesn't exceed 12.6 volts under normal operation. That assumes you don't have high current intermittent devices connected like heater/blowers or IR LED's, both of which can greatly increase the current draw and thus the voltage drop in the cable.

Your best bet is to measure the voltage at the camera and adjust it so the camera's voltage doesn't exceed 12.6 volts under normal operation. That assumes you don't have high current intermittent devices connected like heater/blowers or IR LED's, both of which can greatly increase the current draw and thus the voltage drop in the cable.

There is ample current available (3.5 amps per output). My IR cams draw 1 amp each when IR is active. The camera voltage is 11.998 volts with IR on (as set at 12.2 volts at supply). I will kick it up to 12.5 volts. The regulators should clip, or raise the voltage to keep it stable. I just want a happy medium setting at the supply end so as to not over work the regulators.

Thanks!

we use 12 volts regulated power supply but the output when measured is 13.8V . will there be a problem with this? will the camera be busted easily?