Kurt

Why are Speedome's alwas 1/4" CCD?

I noticed that speeddome's and also other zoom cam's with RS485 always seems to be equipped with a 1/4" CCD while most others are common with 1/3" CCD. Why is that?

It's due to the size and the price.

Most everyone wants a 22x or higher zoom in a dome, that would be pretty large and expensive at 1/3". I also think that a lot of governments/security people are idiots.

I know of a council getting rid of all their PTZ 1/2inch day/night cameras with 30x zoom lenses, and replacing them with 1/4inch domes with 30x zooms. The 1/2 inch cameras have higher resolution and much better low light capabilities even though they're a few years old. I get the feeling domes are 'sexier' and councils/goverments, and everyone else don't want to be seen to be watching people.

But yeah basically I think it comes down to keeping a dome compact and affordable. You don't get that with a 30x optical lens and 1/3" CCD cameras

Have a look at the size of the 20x zoom lens for my Panasonic. The camera is 12.5cm (5inches). and you can see that the lens is considerably longer. Most people would want 30x zoom lenses buying new on a dome these days. That would be an awfully large and expensive dome.

78825_1.jpg

Edited by Guest

Main reason is because you get a further Zoom, sometimes for less money.

Many now come with 1/6" CCDs now also.

sounds reasonable to me, thanks.

The picture of the Panasonic, is that a 1/3" or 1/4" cam then?

1/6"CCD's? How good may that be in very low light conditions? I have my doubts already on the 1/4".

sounds reasonable to me, thanks.

The picture of the Panasonic, is that a 1/3" or 1/4" cam then?

1/6"CCD's? How good may that be in very low light conditions? I have my doubts already on the 1/4".

that's a picture of a 1/2inch camera , but i'll post a picture of the smallest 1/3 inch camera i've got with a 16x motorised lens. The lenses would just be too large & expensive, even if they used miniature cameras like this one in domes. But I doubt you'd get a day/night camera as small as that one in 1/3'

78830_1.jpg

1/6th is useless for low light. I consider 1/4 useless, when trying to observe moving people or anything else at night, as you must use high gain and you must use sens up (frame integration). I cant stand 1/4 inch cameras for day/night useage. This is assuming a dark situation with no infra red illumination.

As well as the size of the lens, another reason is they use similar mechanics and lenses for camcorders so they get massive economies of scale.

There are quite a number of different dome manufacturers but not that many camera / lens module manufacturers. It is quite sewn up.

I'll buy that 1/4' is crap !!!

My "play" camera a panasonic super 2 dome with IR cut is useless at night even with IR !

z

I'll buy that 1/4' is crap !!!

My "play" camera a panasonic super 2 dome with IR cut is useless at night even with IR !

z

Hmmm, i have one Chinees no name 1/4 CCD 22x zoom PTZ Dome (not speed dome but mid speed)

Works well in night, can read number plates from 50 meter away.

Got it from ebay for $250,-

you got lucky !

show the pics -bet it wont capture a moving car !

z

Correct, the car must be still, moving cars will not work, its also to slow becorse its not a real speed dome, more like a "mid"speed "dome"

Its cheap ****, but for the cash great!

Perfect to cover that last space or place whit risk of demolish ...

I hate the compromises you have to make with 1/4 inch day/night dome. I think out of low/mid/high gain, Mid gain is really setting you'd want as high gain quality is too bad, and for sens up/slow-shutter/ fram integration, anything more than 2x is useless for evidence gathering material. This means a lot of darkness.

If your'e just using the camera for observation and you're infront of a monitor live, I think you can afford to use slower shutter speeds, and higher gain, as at least you'll see something, and can then act. But the mtaerial you've recorded possibly wont' be of much good to you as evidence.

I hate the compromises you have to make with 1/4 inch day/night dome. I think out of low/mid/high gain, Mid gain is really setting you'd want as high gain quality is too bad, and for sens up/slow-shutter/ fram integration, anything more than 2x is useless for evidence gathering material. This means a lot of darkness.

If your'e just using the camera for observation and you're infront of a monitor live, I think you can afford to use slower shutter speeds, and higher gain, as at least you'll see something, and can then act. But the mtaerial you've recorded possibly wont' be of much good to you as evidence.

Whit mid, i meen the Pan Tilt speed...thats not so fast a a real speeddome.

The image is verry good! Same as the Bosh speeddome Camera's from work.

The deliverance is the Tilt pan speed, 12 volt in stand of normal 24volts. Focus bit slower, price.