Gesualdo

Help trying to convert umv files to moviemaker usable format

Help! I'm trying to convert .umv file off a speco dvr to some format that can be used by moviemaker or format to be played on regular household dvd player. Does anyone have any idea how to do this or where I can find a converter?

Thanks,

Gesualdo

The DVR player should have an export/save feature to save as AVI or Mpeg.

If not .. dont think it will easy to find something to convert that as it seems like a proprietary file type.

Yeah, It's a propriety player. I was hoping to use other player for it. oh well, Tried finding something myself without any luck so I figured I would ask. Now I know.

Thanks anyway

gesualdo

to play a .UMV file you need an application known as 'SimpleUniPlayer'.

I have it but because it is an executable file I cannot email it to you.

Are you trying to import a video file into Windows Movie Maker? Just wondering, as you mentioned "movie maker" and "Dvd Player" both. I have actually done both ways you mentioned. I believe Windows Movie Maker still uses WMV 8 mostly. Compresses the video a lot. My $50 DVD player, play both MPEG2 and DIVX ( MPEG4 & XVID) video on DVD disks. I normally encode some of my videos into WMV9, as I also have the Lossless Codec for the Audio side. By "audio", I mean I have encoded all my home music (WAV, MP3's, etc.) to WMA 9 Lossless, as the files are half the size of MP3's, and sound better to me. The new Windows Media Codec can now capture video in 1080P.

Wow! I was looking to convert this back in April. Still want to with different videos. THe DVR creates the disk with the uniplayer on it after opening the player you can play the video. I wanted to make a disk that would play in a standard dvd player. My computer has a dvd burner on it. I bought and used a video capture card on the spot out from the DVR to the computer. Never did burn it to disk.

Gesualdo

Wow! I was looking to convert this back in April. Still want to with different videos. THe DVR creates the disk with the uniplayer on it after opening the player you can play the video. I wanted to make a disk that would play in a standard dvd player. My computer has a dvd burner on it. I bought and used a video capture card on the spot out from the DVR to the computer. Never did burn it to disk.

Gesualdo

I haven't used any of my DVR's (Avermedia's, Jpeg2000's, etc.) ability to create a CD/DVD in awhile. Since I began using my Hardware Encoder. Hauppauge has a great new USB encoder also. I have 2 Plextor models. Never understood why someone would need to write to a DVDR disk. That is one heck of a lot of video. I can, and have many times, got around 30 to 45 minutes of good quality video in WMV9 codec, on a blank CDR. Of course, this CD can open with Windows Media Player, which about 95% of all PC's have ( that was a guess). MPEG2 is DVD format. My Hardware Encoder can capture that video in MPEG2 also. Just use my PC/Laptop to be the "CD writer". You can even make a VCD or SVCD via my Encoder from Plextor. Take the "TV OUT" from DVR/VCR/Camcorder/Etc. and input into Yellow RCA Jack on Hardware Encoder. My Plextor Model (TV M-402U) has an "F" jack for cable also, beside the 3 RCA inputs. Record my TV programs with their software . I compress most of my DVD movies to around 700-800 MB, and most of my friends who watch the movie, cannot tell the difference. 4GB down to 700 MB. I use it all the time.

I have a tv tuner card that I have used to capture the video from the DVR but it has to be realtime playback to record. The dvr comes with both usb and cd burner backup that only puts it in .umv format therefore I must install and use the uniplayer to view on the computer and unusable on a standard dvd player. It does this in a matter of minutes. I wanted to make it play on a standard dvd player connected to the TV. I have some footage of deer eating pumpkins off the front porch for almost an hour I wanted to share. Just recently had some guys take revenge on the neighbor across the streets car with a baseball bat that I would like to transfer more quickly. Just thought there would be an easier route. Again I say, "It's all in what they don't say in the advertising! Just elude to."

Any DVR that does make dvd that play on a standard dvd player?

Does the G4 do this as advertised?

Yes, maybe I forgot to mention , that my Hardware Encoder captures the video in real-time, so you do have to watch the video, of sorts. Just that it can capture in many different codecs. One hour is a very long video from a DVR. I normally don't even capture more than 30 minutes or so for someones' use. One of the "plus" to using this Encoder, is that I can stop the video from a DVR at a certain point in a video, and have the encoder still keep recording. In order for a better view of something/someone.

Forgot to mention, there are 2 Conversion programs I like to use. One is Any Video Converter ( can convert AVI,MPEG files to WMV), and the 2nd is VirtualDub. Use both equally often. Go to Download.com and you can check them out for yourself. I normally use VirtualDub to compress small video to below 10MB so I can email them. You have to do a little "testing" with the program to see what end result you wish. I often encode my MPEG2 movies down to 700-800 MB and put them on my Flash Drive for business trips, etc. Have done the same with all my Audio (music). My 8G Flash drive holds around 3000 songs (in WMA) and about 5 Full Length movies (in XVID format).