coolie11

Best NightVision Camera

Hoping to start this thread for users / installers to post info on the best nightvision camera they have found.

Mainly in No Light environments.

I'm tired of buying and testing cameras based on manufacturers specifications then to find out they don't stack up.

I recently did an install with 12 Speco HT-650IRVFHQ which turned out to be a nightmare.

The customer is totaly unsatisfied and now I'm out of budget.

Well for starters it wont be a Dome.

Also, it wont be a bullet camera from an OEM manufacturer.

Lastly, it wont be cheap.

What kind of budget are we looking at?

Thats the real question. If they want one of the best night vision cameras, then they shouldnt have a budget.

All this ofcourse is based on it being a Day/Night IR Camera you are asking about, not just BW with IR.

There isn't any budget as far as the customer is concerned.

The budget I was referring to was what I had quoted the customer to install this system.

I recommended and installed what I thought was appropriate for this application for which I was totally wrong.

I haven’t really seen a thru Day/Night Camera with IR and exceptional quality.

If I was to replace these cameras, what will you recommend? Let’s say we had no budget.

Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the Extreme line, but I was looking for something with a little better physical appearance.

'I may have failed to mention that this install was done on a 4mth old house'

Not to sure how thermal imaging will apply to this install.

Ive used the EX82 before at expensive homes, they look nice, come in White or Black with cable pass mounts. Shoots the IR approx 100', you can also add more IR such as the UF series IRs or SuperLED (make it like daylight) or they have the ZX-55 with more built in.

Unfortunately domes with built in IR will always be limited, even the Extreme CCTV IR Domes. Ive used the EX45 before with a separate LED Cube from Extreme (WZ12LED I think it was). Still works great to this day, but once again, limited distance, however there is no issues with IR glare.

no prob, also, see what can be achieved with the Extreme IR products:

Animation2.gif

i have had .. sell them whenever I get a chance .. then replace when i get more money or a better product .. right now just a BW Exview bullet and a couple color bullets .. I have a couple IR Day Night bullets left over now though so will find a place for them here also .. when i get some free time for myself .. no recorder at this time .. sold that the other day also!

Basically though I only install what will work for my location for the least amount of money .. cameras are mostly at a height that can be reached due to it being a garage apartment .. and Vandal domes wont fit either (well they could but the landlord wouldnt want it) .. and since i rent I dont want to do too much physical work here.

I am about to have a couple of badboys in on the cheap, 1/2" imagers and everything. Hopefully will be under $300 (retail, I know it doesn't sound like it) with a nice AI VF AS lens which is dirt cheap BTW.

I saw somewhere can't remember site, that they offer IR that is not visible to the human eye (no red lights) when looking at the led's.

So far all the cameras I've seen or tested show red when led's are on.

Has any one seen this or know what it's discription will be when shopping?

Extreme CCTV and other high end IR manufacturers .. would be the 950-1100nm IR range.

no prob, also, see what can be achieved with the Extreme IR products:

Animation2.gif

What particular ExtremeCCTV's is this one? The EX82?

Here is a sample of the camera I have had great luck with.

That's a pretty good image. Who makes this camera? What model number is it?

Here is a sample of the camera I have had great luck with.

IR so powerful, it actually made the car disappear

I agree... I also hate buying cameras only to find they do not live up. Cameras with an IR cut filter will provide even better images. I look forward to seeing other examples.

Thanks

Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for the post, but your link results in a page that cannot be displayed.

I went through exactly this problem with my personal home. I began with day-night bullets, then from there to Speco "Intensifier" cameras (AVOID!), and from there to WDR domes with separate IR illuminators.

Frankly, the latter solution has proven to be the most reliable, and has provided the best pictures.

Camera-integrated IR is nice, in that it simplifies your install (less wiring, fewer holes to drill, fewer mounts)... but that's where the benefits end. It attracts bugs, shows the location of your cameras (unless you use the VERY expensive 940nm+ sources, and the VERY expensive cameras that are senstive to that spectral range), and provides about half the range that most of the manufacturers claim.

Vandal domes that are day/night with an ICR (infrared cut filter) are probably your most cost-effective bet, unless you go with Mobotix, Arencont, or other high-dollar cameras that have separate imagers for day/night. Depending on the distance and area you need to cover, you'll have to choose your IR illuminators based on what you want. I did a review of some commonly-available Ebay illuminators (versus a big-bucks RayMax) a while back, and posted the pics:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13935

I went all-IR because of some HOA rules, but you should know that you're almost always better off increasing your visible light rather than going all-IR. IR images are granier, only B&W, and are generally inferior to what you get with regular illumination.

Hi coolie11,

Thanks for the heads up. I am having server issues at the moment and attempting to resolve it now. I hope to be back up here soon.

My email is also down!!!!

Thanks

Mike

Hi ak357,

Your reply is a valid one. Lots of factors impact performance. I rely on the manufacturer/distributor printed documentation, and mainly rely on performance to determine which cameras I recommend and use. Additionally, I look at the overall camera, the way it is built, ease of mounting, does it have a cable managed bracket, IP rating, etc. Just to mention a few.

Specs can be misleading especially with regard to IR distance. I have gone through many cams and when I find one that works for me and my customers, I tend to stick with it and share my experience. I am not disputing your point at all and I really appreciate your pointing it out.

Thanks

Mike

What I have done is to "hide" that product from being displayed and available on our site until I can obtain clarification on the specs. I am sure it is a typo but want to be sure before I change it.

Thanks again for pointing that out to me.

Mike