Kurt

RG58, RG59, RG6, RG11,.. how to recognise?

From various sources I found this on CCTV 75 Ohm cables:

RG58 upto 200m/650ft (strange this RG58, I tought it was used in PC networking, and being 50 Ohm)

RG59 upto 300-350m/980-1150ft

RG6 upto 450-500m/1470-1640ft

RG11 upto 610m/2000ft

The longer the distance the better shielded (thicker) cable.

But in an existing installation, how tell what type a cable is, when there are no markings/printings on it? Can you measure thickness? Or using a meter?

I already noticed that RG58 has a thinner inner core than RG59 and therefore requires another crimp connector (3p with thinner pin).

But what about RG6 & RG11 do those two also use specific crimps connectors?

The ones I have for the RG59 are Amphenol's: ESO BNC CRIMP PLUG, P/N B1121A1-ND3G-3-75

The label also says: 75Ohm for 62AU cable. Is 62AU yet another type?

Edited by Guest

you will always have some differences in cable and connectors which will make your tip'n a pain..........even the compression types.

once you find a cable type and connector that works........stick with it. Always order connectors ahead of running out and check them to make sure they work when you get them. I've collected connectors because I thought they were all the same and I found out that every manufacture/reseller cable & connectors are manytimes different.

even at the ISC's.........I'll have a DEMO on a great connector kit and once I get it and try to use it I end up tossing it on the shelf because the cable I have is slightly different or that thin strip of platic that is between the RG & power completly messes up the connection.........

it's like a pair of shoes..........no one shoe fits the same...........

You are correct. RG-58 is not suitable for CCTV. There are some other 75 ohm cables, including RG-179/West Penn 825 mini coax, which is usually only suitable for up to 100 feet.

Also keep in mind that there are numerous configurations for cable, especially for RG-59 and RG-6. Many are suitable for high frequency (RF) only. These usually use copper-clad steel center conductors and aluminum foil shielding. For CCTV you should always use cable that has 100% solid copper center conductor and 95% or better pure copper braided shield.

I would not want to run RG 11 for CCTV!!

http://www.showmecables.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=2889

http://eclipsecctv.com/ECL-1005_connector.html

If you really have to know what is in the wire then cut off the connector, and reattach a new connector.

This will tell you real quick if it is copper clad, or copper center!!

I am really surprised that there is no markings on the wire!

there is a marking on the cable so you would know which cable is it. for CCTV use 75 Ohms cable. RG6 and RG59 are 75 Ohms.

@ Scorpion: Why wouldn't you like o use RG11 for CCTV? To heavy? The linked photos don't tell me much more.

There are markings on the cable, tough not always when it is 75 Ohm or 50 Ohm.

Especially the RG58: But how to find out when it's 50 or 75 Ohm cable?

The markings I see are: RG58 C/U coax cable MIL-C17-F or RG58 /U coax cable A.

I also notice that cam-manufactor Tracer is also use these RG58 cable on their 1-cable tube cam's (power over coax).

Can a 50 Ohm RG58 cables also be used for short distance CCTV cam's?

You can use RG11, but it is darned expensive. No matter - RG59, 6 or 11, it still has to be 100% copper conductors and that is a lot of copper. West Penn makes 100% copper RG11 - Types 811/4811/1130/25811.

811 (the cheapest of the bunch) runs around $600/1000 ft.:

http://www.westpenn-wpw.com/index.php?option=com_cable_finder&func=SearchSec&section=COAXIAL_CABLES&col_1=RG11%2FU+Type&col_2=CCTV&col_3=&col_4=&col_5=&col_6=&col_7=&col_8=

Especially the RG58: But how to find out when it's 50 or 75 Ohm cable?

All RG58 is 50 ohm, not 75 ohm!

need to use 75 ohms to achieve maximum power transfer and to minimize transmission loss since the equipment ( camera and dvr ) are all 75 ohms .

I do installation many with satellite equipment and yes you can tell after a while simply by looking

many for me rg59 and rg6

rg6 is a lot bigger and you cannot use a rg59 compression connector on a rg6 wire

r