eric9547

Welding Facility - Cat5 or RG59 Siamese

Which would be your choice of cable in this type of manufacturing enviroment? Cable runs will be about 250'.

The camera feeds will act as antennas for stray voltage radiation. I would think coax with surge suppressors for each camera may work along with the above mentioned tips.

Would there be any problems if I went with Cat5 instead. That way should I want to upgrade to IP camera's I can.

Good idea... I will recommend CAT6e instead - this cable is capable of higher bandwidth, which will come handy when you need it... Does not cost that much more, but you run it once and then you can change your analog configuration to IP based solution...

Dependent on cable lengths, you can use passive or active baluns...

Good idea... I will recommend CAT6e instead - this cable is capable of higher bandwidth, which will come handy when you need it... Does not cost that much more, but you run it once and then you can change your analog configuration to IP based solution...

Dependent on cable lengths, you can use passive or active baluns...

What is an inexpensive active balun solution I can go with? With eight channels what would I need exactly?

Thanks

Depending on your cable lengths... If you are running more than 1,500' of cable, then you have to go with "active" balun solution. Otherwise, my preference always have been VU line of video baluns.. Pricing is not bad at all, as you can get them in the open market for $30.00 for pair of these baluns ($15.00 each)...

Not bad for the solution vs. Siamese cable and BNC connectors that overall could cost the same and again it has everything to do on the length of the cables... The major advantage is that at one point if you want to switch to IP solution based hardware, then all you have to do is to make Ethernet connectors and you are ready to rock and roll... plus, with CAT6e, you have more bandwidth capability, so if you needed, it is already there by default.

consider using plenum cable as this is a welding shop and that may be a requirment. either coax or cat5/6 comes in plenum but be sure and get pricing first as it is very expensive

Plenum isn't cheap,

I'd say just get some Coax with 18/2 (Siamese) and you should be good to go for those runs since they are short. Just remember to steer clear of the power runs in the building since not everyone likes lines scrolling in their video.