Forestarius

DMmailserver gets stuck

Running 8.2 on a clean Windows XP install.

The only installed security program is Windows firewall. I added the DM mail server program to exempt after the first time, in case it was being blocked.

The little mail server icon appears as it's trying to send the email but gets stuck there. I have to kill the process with Task Manager to kill it. Everything works fine for a day or two at a time, then it gets stuck again.

Any ideas on what's happening?

I'll turn off the Windows Firewall for now.

It's been two days now with the Windows firewall off . The DMailserver got stuck again tonight.

I had to kill the mail process to stop it as "cancel" and "OK" did not do anything and then restart it.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Do you have a different mailserver you can connect to to try? I have not seen this error before.

Do you have a different mailserver you can connect to to try? I have not seen this error before.

I can try that. Right now it's on a verizon email with "outgoing.verizon.net" and the SMTP login and password info.

It locked up again today and this time when I killed the mailserver a little window popped up and said the local area network was now connected. When I clicked on connection status it said it had been up for 8 days. That was strange. Maybe one was blocking or locking up the other.

I tried several email accounts, but Verizon must be blocking certain email SMTP settings because outgoing is not connecting, unless I send it through Verizons own email server.

So I guess I'm stuck with using Verizon for outgoing mail for now.

A couple of days ago my router died. As I was swapping it out I noticed that if the GV system was trying to send out an email alert while the router was disconnected the email server would lock up.

Verizon has a lot of periodic blackouts here, usually just for a few minutes at a time. If my GV system is trying to send out an email at the same time that could explain the lockup.

Has anybody else experienced complete lockup of the mail server program when their DSL is disconnected?

A couple of days ago my router died. As I was swapping it out I noticed that if the GV system was trying to send out an email alert while the router was disconnected the email server would lock up.

Verizon has a lot of periodic blackouts here, usually just for a few minutes at a time. If my GV system is trying to send out an email at the same time that could explain the lockup.

Has anybody else experienced complete lockup of the mail server program when their DSL is disconnected?

Yes!

I am having the exact same problem.

I was having to restart my d-Link router once or twice a day, so I swapped it out for a Trendnet brand.

Now when I remote desktop to the Geovision server and ptz the camera, it just hangs and doesn't email me the motion detection info.

When I try to access the 'E-mail Setup' menu, it also hangs.

I have tried a few things after calling tech support for the router, but no sucess yet.

I'm investigating...

Couldn't get it to work.

I switched back to the 'testy' D-Link and I was having the same problem.

The only thing I had messed with on the server, was the IP settings. I did this because the Trendnet doesn't allow static ip setting from within the router (the D-Link does).

I had changed the settings back (auto ip) so I was surprised that it didn't work (although, surprised wasn't quite my reaction ).

I finally got it to work (not hang on attempting to send an email warning) by using System Restore and going back a couple of days.

Voila - I'm back where I started, with everything working.

So, it looks like it's related to some obscure network setting that the Trendnet router did.

I hope this helps you figure out your problem - it's a toughie!

Dec 18th Update:

Went back to try the Trendnet router again, since the D-Link is a pain because I have to reset all the time.

Turns out the Trendnet didn't like the name I had for the mail server, in the Outlook Express config. settings.

I had an abreviated server name ("shawmail") that works fine with the D-Link but the Trendnet needs the full path ("shawmail.vc.shawcable.net").

Change this also for the Geovision (General Setting/E-mail Setup/SMTP Server).

Hope this works for you!

Pete.