jasmilelv

CCTV professionals get in!

pls recommend me a few famous brands for hard drive.

I heard about Seagate, ,,,, just recommend me some brands like this.

the hard drive I can buy maybe in Italy,,,

Thank you.

Jasmine

There are lots of hard drive manufacturers, just go to most online store selling hard drives and you should see the different manufacturers ranges on sale.

Im suprised you dont know the main manufacturers though if you are a manufacturer of DVR's since 2001 - Hard drives are part of a dvr?

Im a little confused over your location also - why Italy?

Are you in Italy, the Philippines, or China - its confusing from your profile and previous posts, where you are, and what you do, do you install DVR's or make them?

There are lots of hard drive manufacturers, just go to most online store selling hard drives and you should see the different manufacturers ranges on sale.

Im suprised you dont know the main manufacturers though if you are a manufacturer of DVR's since 2001 - Hard drives are part of a dvr?

Im a little confused over your location also - why Italy?

Are you in Italy, the Philippines, or China - its confusing from your profile and previous posts, where you are, and what you do, do you install DVR's or make them?

No.

We are a manufacaturer in China, our company is Tmvideo techonology co., ltd.

I sell DVR for not long time, so I'm not so familiar with it, and we only sell DVR, HDD excluded. I know little knowledge about HDD, seagate is a famous brand I heard some,,,

My Italian customer ask me to recommend him some HDD, so I hope to have some professional knowledge here.

Maybe I have put a too small question on a too big forum here,,,

Philippine story is also my Philippine customer's story,,,

The truth is I'm a absolute good boy .

That's the story.

Jasmine

Totally agree about the SV Segate series...specially made for DVR's...why i here you ask.

Normal drives when in a standard PC require the complete file (every bit and byte) to be completely intact in order to pass on the request of data....with video you dont need every bit and byte..missing bits or bytes dont need to be re requested...increasing read response times.

They also run a lot cooler and have a longer MTBF

I just noticed the old postings about HDD's. If you are using them for video

get a partnership with Seagate. They also own Maxtor. Seagate has a special heavy duty unit in the video line. The good thing about them, they carry a 5 year warranty. For your mother boards it's the same thing with Intel. They have partnership program also. I think Intels warranty is 3 years.

Seagate SV35 all the way... much lower failure rate when used in standalone systems.

The write strategy is optimised for cctv... they use the buffer to minimise writing to the disk which in turn reduces wear and tear on the disk.

i.e. Normally the hdd in a dvr (assuming its only got one hdd) would be writing constantly and only using the buffer when unable to write to disk fast enough, with these drives they use more of the buffer and then write to the disk in bursts.

Seagate SV35 all the way... much lower failure rate when used in standalone systems.

The write strategy is optimised for cctv... they use the buffer to minimise writing to the disk which in turn reduces wear and tear on the disk.

i.e. Normally the hdd in a dvr (assuming its only got one hdd) would be writing constantly and only using the buffer when unable to write to disk fast enough, with these drives they use more of the buffer and then write to the disk in bursts.

Google's white paper on the subject disagrees with you. Activity doesn't appear to have much impact on life span of a drive except in early life and late life of the drive.

Also boys and girls, the Google white paper showed that there wasn't much difference at all between failure rates of various manufacturers. They've only gone through a hundred thousand or so drives of various sizes and manufacturers.

Some of the more interesting bits:

1.SCSI, SATA and IDE all have similar failure rates. Which kills the conventional wisdom that SCSI gives better life time support.

2. SMART is a only slightly useful in determining failure rates.

3. Activity and temperature do not have the ties to drive failure that people expected.

4. Failure rate among drive manufactures tends to be fairly similar, within margin of error.