kujo999

NV3000 Jittery Images

I have four cameras attached to this board. It has been working great up til now, but now it seems that this image jitters a little from the top to the bottom. Of course, this affects skews the image quality and sets off motion detection.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I haven't contacted Avermedia about it yet, but I was wondering if some of the folks here knew what it was.

Thanks!

It seems like it is happening on all the cameras. I don't know if it has anything to do with the video compressor I am using (Advanced MPEG4), or if it has sometthing to do with the deinterlacing (mode:2). or something else altogether. The cameras I have are kind of middle of the road. Each is using a Sony Super HAD 550+ rez, CCD. So these aren't super cheap cameras. I have 1 Vitek Dome, 1 CNB dome and two Q-See (don't laugh) bullet cameras which, believe it or not, have been great performers so far (they are the higher end bullets).

It almost seems as if there is a problem with syncing the frames coming from the camera with the software that is displaying the frames.

Thanks!

can you post a short clip so I can view it?

also, try disconnecting ALL the cams and inputting a video signal from a sat receiver or VHS...........this will help eliminate/change problem?

cameras can cause jitter, but the power supply can also have an effect......

you need to change some things and work your way back up........

That's a good idea about isolating the cameras 1 at a time and also feed in a signal from sat or a vcr.

I'll upload a snippet when I get home later today. I've also contacted Avermedia...haven't heard back from them yet.

Thanks VST_Man!

CPU, chipset or display adapter is not up to the minimum required.

This only happens in preview mode, you are running D1, and have a camera fullscreen?

This is not seen in playback?

Basically I can reproduce it both in preview and in playback if you overstress the hardware components enough.

Lokk at the reccomended hardware and see if you have anything not on the list.

We'll I am using a high-end NVidia card that I used for my HTPC. If the card easily handles HD content it should have power to spare for DVR purposes. The CPU, Motherboard etc, all higher end gear should be more than enough. This same PC was used to encode multiple streams of HD content without so much as a hiccup. If that's not enough, then I'd say the software/encoders suck.

I am capturing D1. The card is only grabbing 7 frames max per channel. Max frames per card is 30. So at the most, the PC would need to encode 30 fps. Although, if the video quality isn't that great, then the encoder is going to use more CPU.

Anyway, I still haven't heard back from Avermedia. I apreciate you guys helping me with this.

CPU=AMD Athlon X2 3800

Video Card=NVidia 7600GS (Gigabyte)

Chipset=nVidia GeForce 6160 + nForce 430

Yup thats the problem. Number one on the hardware list.

"CPU: Pentium 4 3.0 GHz or higher"

Stick to Intel over Intel for all CCTV DVRs, no need to go with latest and greatest hotrod stuff just a core2 and 945 plus chipset.

They do list a singe AMD/Nforce combo on thier tested configurations but I would HIGHLY urge you to go Intel over Intel for stability.

Why the P4? Are they using P4 specific extensions or is it just mainly the dual-core architecture? After all, the X2 is dual core!

Are you sure that the speed and type of processor is that is causing the jittery video?

I wonder if it might be more cost-effective to trade up to a DVR card with hardware based encoding.

You would be better off trading mainboards then tring to use a hardware card as it's probably going to have the same if not more issues. Whatever you do when you design a DVR system you must use the specified hardware. I have not seen a DVR that really reccomends AMD CPUs or anything other then an Intel Northbridge which is really what this all comes down to. You can't find a mainboard with an AMd socket and an Intel northbridge controller.

Interesting. I am actually an Intel-man myself. It seems that every time I by AMD I regret it, yet the Intel stuff I buy I can re-use for years. True, it costs a little bit more but it more than makes up for the cost in reliability.

The reason I am trying to use the AMD is to re-use a box that I once use for my HD HTPC. So, I may look at picking up a new board and cpu.

Avermedia did contact me about the issue as well and the guy mentioned first off that it may be a power supply issue (which is what you cited). I am going to go through the task of trying to isolate the offender and see if that fixes things.

Thanks for your help!

I too have this problem, only noticed it after i updated to the latest Avermedia software a couple of weeks ago. I am sure it was the update to the latest software. Everything had been fine before, but immediately after i installed the new software the camera images would jitter, maybe only every minute or so, but very annoying as it sets off the motion detection.

Interestingly i had the same problem when i first got my NV3000 a year ago. I added cameras one by one as i purchased them over a few weeks. With just one camera installed I had this same intermitent jitter. When i connected a second camera the jitters stopped. I added a third and they started again, then a fourth and all OK again and has been ever since, until that is i updated to the latest software

I too have this problem, only noticed it after i updated to the latest Avermedia software a couple of weeks ago. I am sure it was the update to the latest software. Everything had been fine before, but immediately after i installed the new software the camera images would jitter, maybe only every minute or so, but very annoying as it sets off the motion detection.

Interestingly i had the same problem when i first got my NV3000 a year ago. I added cameras one by one as i purchased them over a few weeks. With just one camera installed I had this same intermitent jitter. When i connected a second camera the jitters stopped. I added a third and they started again, then a fourth and all OK again and has been ever since, until that is i updated to the latest software

incidentally i have XP p4 3.2GHz ATI Radeon X300SE 128MB

I found the solution to this question on this forum somewhere. Try setting the recording resolution to 640x480 or smaller. The 720 is what is causing the jump/jitter. I dropped from 720 to 640 and the jitter on my 3 cams stopped instantly.

I have notice the problem too since the update... Also if it was his chip, why has it only just started doing it???