kujo999

What's the best DVR board to get between $150 and $300?

I have an Avermedia NV3000 presently. The software and board work fine, but I am not pleased with the image quality. If I can't get images that are clear and can easily identify a perp, what's the point?

To that end, I'd like to ask a question of this group. For the money, is there any particular brand that is better than another, esp. as it relates to a) great image quality b) good software and c) price/benefit ratio. I'm not a cheapskate but I'd like to get the best board I can for the least amount of $$.

Thanks!

I just returned the NV3000 and now have an NV5000. So far, so good. The main thing that helped me to choose Avermedia again was the support. The 30 fps is nice and much better than the 3000 in that respect. I am having a strange problem where the only way I can do motion recordings is by setting up alerts on each camera. This is probably the 7.3 software and doesn't have anything to do with my cameras or the card itself, however.

You can go under Setup-Recording and set your camera(s) to Motion recroding. You can also increase or reduce sensitivity level. You can also use Shild feature to block out area(s) from picking up the motion from.

kujo999

You need to enable the card in the "Scheduler" as to what days/weeks/all.

I set puzzled for an hour on this Friday for the same thing.....

I just returned the NV3000 and now have an NV5000. So far, so good. The main thing that helped me to choose Avermedia again was the support. The 30 fps is nice and much better than the 3000 in that respect. I am having a strange problem where the only way I can do motion recordings is by setting up alerts on each camera. This is probably the 7.3 software and doesn't have anything to do with my cameras or the card itself, however.

I'm looking at the cards in the $100 range myself. What is the NV5000 doing so much better that it justifies $200 extra, vs the NV3000?

Can you show me a screen shot of the NV3 video Vs the NV5?

I'm looking to build a two camera DVR PC system myself and, as you said want the video clear enough to be able to actually identify people and or vehicle license plates with it, and not just a blur. One will be for the front yard, and one for the back yard of my house. Also, IR and night vision is important.

If you'd like to you can PM me if I'm taking you thread off-topic.

What justifies the extra $200? I can't answer that yet. All I know is that in order to get 30fps I had to step up to the next model which is the 5000. I like the fact that this one is much more expandable than the 3000 as well. I wanted the extra frames because should I ever need to produce footage I don't want to miss anything; any nuance of what happened. Some have said it's overkill but I disagree. You can miss a lot of detail when capturing at 5 fps or less, which is about what the 3000 was giving me (remember that 30fps has to be divided among 4 cameras).

How is the picture on the 5000? I have not yet perfected the image and I have been trying different cameras. I have almost hit a sweet spot, but it's take a little more time for me to settle on the right combination.

I have a feeling that in order for me to get the kind of image I really want, I am going to have to move into pretty expensive cameras. The cameras in the $200~300 range just don't seem to be doing it for me. What I want is an image that you'd get from a very good camcorder. I am not sure that's possible unless I get a pricey box cam. But realistically, I can probaly live without a near perfect image. I'm just a perfectionist.

Once I get the cams tweaked and set up properly, I'll post some shots.

I see what your saying now. My max camera's will be 2. Maybe 3 depending on how the front/rear cameras do.

Do you think this 3000 would work well for me with a two camera system? The cameras will likely be $100 cameras with IR. I dont really need the crisp quality you are looking for, however clear night video is important.. With the 5000 cameras available, this should be fun to figure out.

What justifies the extra $200? I can't answer that yet. All I know is that in order to get 30fps I had to step up to the next model which is the 5000. I like the fact that this one is much more expandable than the 3000 as well. I wanted the extra frames because should I ever need to produce footage I don't want to miss anything; any nuance of what happened. Some have said it's overkill but I disagree. You can miss a lot of detail when capturing at 5 fps or less, which is about what the 3000 was giving me (remember that 30fps has to be divided among 4 cameras).

How is the picture on the 5000? I have not yet perfected the image and I have been trying different cameras. I have almost hit a sweet spot, but it's take a little more time for me to settle on the right combination.

I have a feeling that in order for me to get the kind of image I really want, I am going to have to move into pretty expensive cameras. The cameras in the $200~300 range just don't seem to be doing it for me. What I want is an image that you'd get from a very good camcorder. I am not sure that's possible unless I get a pricey box cam. But realistically, I can probaly live without a near perfect image. I'm just a perfectionist.

Once I get the cams tweaked and set up properly, I'll post some shots.